New electric fuel pump

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I know I need to install a higher pressure and volume electric fuel pump in place of my OEM SU pump for my 347 stroker motor project. I am seriously considering a Carter P4070 pump. It is internally regulated at 6 PSI and has a 72 gph free flow rate which should work well with my new Holley 670 cfm carb and motor. Anyone have any experience with this pump? How noisy is it? I also would be interested in knowing how much clearance you have between the bottom of the pump and muffler. I intend to put some sort of heat shielding between the muffler and the pump, a la the May 2007 Tiger Tales article. BTW, I originally bought a Holley 125 gph pump but am uncomfortable with the fuel lines being so close to the top of my muffler. It appears they would be 7/8 inch from the muffler, before any shielding is put in place. The Carter has the lines on top of the pump which would make me more comfortable at least with that aspect.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on this.

Regards, Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know I need to install a higher pressure and volume electric fuel pump in place of my OEM SU pump for my 347 stroker motor project. I am seriously considering a Carter P4070 pump. It is internally regulated at 6 PSI and has a 72 gph free flow rate which should work well with my new Holley 670 cfm carb and motor. Anyone have any experience with this pump? How noisy is it? I also would be interested in knowing how much clearance you have between the bottom of the pump and muffler. I intend to put some sort of heat shielding between the muffler and the pump, a la the May 2007 Tiger Tales article. BTW, I originally bought a Holley 125 gph pump but am uncomfortable with the fuel lines being so close to the top of my muffler. It appears they would be 7/8 inch from the muffler, before any shielding is put in place. The Carter has the lines on top of the pump which would make me more comfortable at least with that aspect.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on this.

Regards, Gene

gene, you might need to up the size of the fuel line too.. but i have to ask, why not remount the pump in the boot? It will be away from the heat, not be behind your ear while driving and touch wood, if it was to ever leak will not flow onto your warm exhaust/

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Michael, thanks for the suggestion. Is that where the TigerII has its pump mounted? In my shop manual it says the pump is under the rear seat for the 260's and in the rear compartment for the 289's. I just ran and checked spacing and unfortunately the upright Holley is too high to fit in the upright "Alpine" wheel well under the spare tire at the back of the trunk. If the Carter is shorter, perhaps that would be a good location for it. Probably the old SU horizontal pump would have fit there nicely though. Not sure where else to consider back there. Certainly open to suggestions.

I am indeed looking to put in 3/8 stainless line from my new pump forward. I have not looked to see to get 3/8 from the tank to the pump or how big a job that would be. Any experience with that you could share?

Regards, Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gene,

The MKII's do mount it in the shallow left by the alpine spare wheel well.. you can mount it on the vertical face of the boot but use exhaust rubbers to isolate the vibration, i have one mounted there.. though my boot is far fro stock.. but i think moving it to the rear is much better in terms of safety and longevity.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Michael, thanks much for the photos. Very impressive tank set up you have. Just a little more elaborate than I am contemplating, but very helpful to know what is possible. No doubt your setup is safer without the saddle tanks and how your pump is mounted. As for potential leaks over the muffler, I am somewhat encouraged by the Carter's product description saying it has no shaft seals to leak or deteriorate. Of course there are always the connections to consider... Thanks again for sharing.

Regards, Gene

tgrrr

Silver forum user
Gene, I have used the Carter centrifugal pumps in a couple of vehicles, including my Tiger (about 30 yrs ago) and they are a bit noisy but it helps if you can isolate the mount with rubber. I remember trying the pump in the stock location (above the muffler) and having trouble getting it to pull the fuel from the stock tanks. The Carter is a vane-type pump and will push fuel to 72 gph but it does not like to suck it uphill. It needs to be mounted as low and close to the tank as possible to work effectively. I moved it to the Mk II location and it worked well.
I changed to a Mallory Comp 140 pump with a fuel cell about 18 years ago. It is a gerotor design, not quite as noisy but delivers more pressure.

Bob

tgrrboot2.jpg

trunk.jpg

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Bob, your information is absolutely, fantastically helpful. Spot-on, as some would say, exactly what I was hoping someone would be able to provide. Based on your comments about the Carter and the above the muffler, stock positioning, I will definitely avoid that solution.
I had not seriously considered the boot area as an option until I got your and Michael King's responses. Profuse thanks to both of you for that. I just re-looked at how my Holley 125 might could fit there. (It is also a gerotor design pump.) When Michael first mentioned it, I tried to fit it entirely in the alpine wheel well cavity, in the center, but it would not allow the spare tire to fit. I just realized with the spare tire in, there still is enough room on the RIGHT SIDE of the spare tire over by the battery, but still partially in the Alpine wheel well cavity to slip in! The isolation mounting recommendation is also a fantastic idea I had not thought about doing.
Thanks again to both you guys for sharing your experience and advice.
Gene