Another Tiger For Sale 12/4/11

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member

Mike...

As nice as it is, I am not certain what makes the owner of that Mark II (now listed for $155,000) think the car is worth that much. But... just thought I'd let you guys know that, in the spirit of the season, I'm inclined to offer my Mark II at a 50% "Super Sunday" cash discount from that price.:)

Yup... it also comes with the hardtop and a brand new (installed) soft top. But, sadly, "no original spare tire" or tool kit (which together, apparently, must be worth about $77,500).

I'd understand someone setting a very high (e.g. $155,000) reserve and starting the bidding off low... just to get a feel for current market price. But starting it at $155,00 is a bit of a puzzler for me. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Bill

Warren

Gold forum user

Yes truly puzzling as is the Oregon car re listed and selling for 47,500, Car dealer

The car in Costa Mesa that was listed and sold the blue one more than once.

The red one in MD that did not sell 2x for 20,000. Tac'ed but missing some things.

And today's close on the very nice Arizona car moved to the midwest at 39,000 not meeting reserve.

What a crap shoot, or maybe liar's poker is closer

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Different Cars

There are many small things which affect "value" including history disclosed or not. More important is that buyers are as varied and different as the Tigers for sale. This dynamic is a big factor because most Tigers are not original and as a (high) performance sports car modifications are desired by many potential buyers.

Mistakes are made but generally it is like any commerce. The buyer and the seller get what they want more than what they give up. Sellers get the cash and Buyers get the car. Know what you want, buy it and be happy.

Rick

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I am at a loss for words----that price sure seemed high to me, but what the heck, if it sells then maybe my Mk1 will be worth more now......

Cal44

Gold forum user
Since I buy and sell cars (only as a hobby) and never......I repeat never.....make money on my sells, I can write the car market is in the toilet.

Yes there are cars selling and there will always be folks with money to purchase anything they desire.

There are many who will only buy from a dealer, I guess it provides the pacifier some need..............

As for the bunch I hang out with on occasion this is what is for sale:

'70 Boss 302
'49 Merc Woodie
'69 MGBGT
'62 Buick Skylark, factory four speed V8

These are only a few examples of nice cars. Guess what? Not one offer.

No........I didn't write this too sell cars but used only as an "example".

By the way, in the new Hemmings there is a writeup on Tigers. Once again the author is mentioning Cobras and Tigers in the same paragraph.
When will that ever stop?.............I wonder..........

Mike

AshUK

Silver forum user
It seems easy to me. It is all about greed and trying to push the market up as far as possible. If enough people advertise their cars at these rediculous figures they will start to believe they are worth it! :mad:

Erich

Gold forum user
It seems easy to me. It is all about greed and trying to push the market up as far as possible. If enough people advertise their cars at these rediculous figures they will start to believe they are worth it! :mad:

The trick is to get one person with money to believe it. :D

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This got me thinking.... What's the highest price paid for a Tiger?

Well, for a normal "no history" Tiger i'd say that the 150k+ paid for the HSC tribute car last year was up there.

Down here in AU people have paid AU$90K for Tigers, this was a few years back.. when it would have been equal to about US$60K... now that would be mid US$90's

The last time the works LM cars sold would be a good guide.. and if the Hollywood Sports car Tiger or Sports Car Forum cars came up for sale they would take it close.. then there are the ex-works rally cars with good results...

Either way.. I plan on keeping mine.. so values dont really make much difference.. I had to pay good money to get one back in late '06.. but i dont regret it.. and i am still enjoying it! :D

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
interesting twist

I saw this car when it was first listed. It had 6 days left to bid on it. The starting price was- no misprint-$55000. I did not imagine it, nor did I misread it. The next night, the auction, now with 5 days remaining, showed a starting bid $100,000 higher! Maybe somebody called the guy and told him he had a gold mine, and a $55,000 starting bid (it had no reserve) was giving the car away!

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Maybe his wife told him to sell it and this is his way to keep it around for a bit, you know, the old "but I have it for sale" trick...:D

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You might be on to something...I just went back and looked at the listing, there was a revision in, you guessed it, the minimum bid!

Who owns a Tiger in Frazier Park anyway? Nevermind, I forgot I owned one in Tehachapi for a couple of decades- great snow cars:D

steven

Gold forum user
Thers a chap over here with a mark 2, reckons its worth $160K. It takes out many awards and its a driver, not a show poney. He showed me how to avoid paint damage. You can get a clear plastic type film applied over the paint that will never degrade with sunlight and keeps that brilliant colour forever. He never told me what it cost. I will stay with my origional mark 1.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thers a chap over here with a mark 2, reckons its worth $160K.

What someone thinks its worth and what somene will pay are different things. I assume thats the red MKII that was restored down here in melbourne?

The same restorer did a concourse "MKII" a few years back.. its been for sale now for over 4 years and has yet to get a bite .. it started at 120K and worked its way down to mid 80's.. still no takers. Can be seen at carpoint.com.au

Gievn the Balck MKII on the board here made 80'ish and was restored by one of the best in the buisness.. i think that gives a good guiding range for value.. and with the $AU at the rate it is.. and knowing how nice the black one was.. you would have to be pretty fresh to Sunbeams to be paying 100+...

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
He showed me how to avoid paint damage. You can get a clear plastic type film applied over the paint that will never degrade with sunlight and keeps that brilliant colour forever. He never told me what it cost. I will stay with my origional mark 1.

3M is a maker of this product--Clear Bra their's is called. A lot of new cars have it as an option here in California--works great and does save the paint. Just don't wax up to it or over time you will get a white line, then not so invisible. I looked at getting it for the front of my wife's car when we bought it last year--I was quoted about $250 for the product installed.