Board improvement.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Looks like this is now the preferred board as the other Tiger boards are about dead.

Improvements - need more than one Tiger topic.

Recommendations:

Engine
Body
Brakes
Performance Mods
Detailing Tips
Factory Correct

etc...

Thanks for any consideration.

Last edited:

A-Snake

Bronze forum user
I would agree that 'Tiger' and 'Alpine' and 'Others' could be broken down into sub-categories.

How about a heading of "Technical Talk", under that would be "Body", "Electrical", "Suspension", "Brake System", "Drivetrain" (engine, trans, rear axle), "Interior", "Trim"

This would be general tech discussions for questions and problems that are not year or model specific.

Just an idea;)

I'm sure there is a web designer now banging his head against his desk :D:D:D

Erich

Gold forum user
My take:
There is not enough traffic on this board to break things down that fine. When we get several hundred new post a day, the finer resolution will be essential. Now it just makes for a lot of categories with one post that is 6 months old.

There are only 558 threads in general discussion in 2.5 years. Less than one new topic per day.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
It's a lot easier and less time consuming to organize from the beginning rather than waiting till you're overwhelmed. Better to go overboard and categorize everything then go back later and weed out the un-used. Alway have a Misc. topic for things that don't fit in.

Problem is it won't work unless everyone is aware and willing to use the organizing system. I wouldn't want to be the guy sitting in the background moving threads around to stay on topic when everyone just keeps posting a new topic every time they have something to say.

Just my 2-bits worth from personal experience of hardcopy documentation keeping.

Justin

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
There are only 558 threads in general discussion in 2.5 years. Less than one new topic per day.

Home page is showing: Threads: 897, Posts: 4,864.

General Tiger Discussion is showing 28 pages of threads.

I have been posting here for 2.5 years (joined one month after board was started) and traffic has really picked up the last six months.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
car show/event section for pics?

Did you look? :rolleyes:

Yes and broken into regions of the US and the rest of our world..

A few are waiting for first posting. Southwest (-CA)? Anyone out there? We have CAT Members in South Africa too and they have some great Tigers and active Car Clubs but nothing posted yet.

Also if anyone knows of an Event of interest in the future? I will add it to the Calendar section at bottom of the main page if only you E-mail the details a month or more before it happens.

Rick
Admin

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
So...........I guess it is a no to expand the Tiger categories?

As has been bragged about, this board is getting a lot more traffic and 90% of the traffic is under one topic.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A collage of wonder

The format as it sits seems to allow a broad scope of brain picking. Narrowing into multi categories could omit the one guy with a proper solution to a problem because he doesn't read a particular segment. Besides, file expansion reminds me of bureaucrats (slow moving targets, they are).

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Adding more subforums is not difficult at all but they would not be backward compatble, whats now in General will not change. Future posts only would be divided. My personal feeling is that boards that get too compartmentalized become harder to use. Ie "where does this post belong"?. I set the categories here based on my experience with several other automotive boards, and tweeked them based on CAT board member request. I think any future change needs to be a CAT board vote. If the current board wants to add sub forums I will be happy to.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Did you look? :rolleyes:

Yes and broken into regions of the US and the rest of our world..

A few are waiting for first posting. Southwest (-CA)? Anyone out there? We have CAT Members in South Africa too and they have some great Tigers and active Car Clubs but nothing posted yet.

Also if anyone knows of an Event of interest in the future? I will add it to the Calendar section at bottom of the main page if only you E-mail the details a month or more before it happens.

Rick
Admin

OK, thanks--I will try and post in them--is anything acceptable? ie....other than Sunbeams.

steven

Gold forum user
as a o/s member, i am happy with the structure. also check saoc. aete and other sunbeam sites. am happy with all formats and search facilities. typing 1 han\ded cause a big weight decided to push a steel rod 1/8" x1" into my elbow with 300lb pushing it in. hospital emergency and surgery back home now, still under anesthetic no driving work for a few weeks. bugger it. so if all i can do is check the forums, please dont change them :):):):D:cool::cool::cool:

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
The biggest item in need of improvement for me is image loading. Quite likely something that can't be fixed as it is probably due to the server providing the service and not the forum itself but just wanted to pass it along so that the powers that be were aware of the situation. Generally image loading isn't a problem for me elsewhere.

I have an issue with how the images load especially the ones loaded from tinypic.com. For example in the current thread "What size tire in the boot" the image of hottigr's trunk interior only loads to approx. the bottom edge of the trunk lid which is about 12% of the top of the image. The subject of the image doesn't occur until down around 95%.

Sometimes on a good day I can view these images by just loading the image itself but it depends I guess on how busy tinypic.com and my ISP are. Sometime they load and I can go back to the post and all is fine but on slow days the pics load to a point, stop (times out), then starts re-loading from the beginning again and can go into an indefinite loop never being able to see the entire image. Seems like it knows what the subject matter is and stops just above that point before refreshing the partial image.

Just my 2 cents.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Its a no brainer if you ask me.

The General Tiger Discussion alone has 597 threads and 3965 posts. It is 30 pages deep with threads.

The other 18 categories have 351 threads and 1294 posts combined.

Last edited:

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I think we could have a couple more sub categories without it getting too fragmented.
One thing I've always liked on the TEAE forum was having a split between 'stock' and 'modified' topics...

Jim
B382000446