Supplement to new Tiger Tales Ackerman Angle Kit

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
I got this document with a request from Mike M. to post it. It is reference material to an article in the soon to be mailed, now at the printers Tiger Tales. This issue also has SUNI coverage!

"Hi Rick, I would like to post the attached PDF from Kirk Smith on the C.A.T. forum and refer to it in print in this issue of TTales. His column revisits old Tiger Tales issues and isn't really a tech article per se.

I can only run a short item on it, but want to refer readers to the entire historical document. I know I can probably post it myself, but am juggling finishing the issue and work/family stuff. I promise I will spend some time and figure out the forum thing, but I'm still a bit out of it when it comes to web based stuff. Would you be able to place it in an appropriate posting? Thanks".

Vintage 1977 documentation of the Ackerman Angle Kit.

http://www.catmbr.org/AckrmnStr.pdf

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Page 10 July August 2009

Tiger Tales was in my mail box today. SUNI coverage fantastic and the Kirk Smith story of the Lou Anderson's Ackerman Angle Kit is there too. Good job Mike! :cool:

Last edited:

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Now that I've seen the article, I have a bit to add to it. A C.A.T. member (Rande B.) graciously sent me a copy of Lou's original drawings and materials list and I have put them in an album on my member page .
http://www.catmbr.org/VB_forum/album.php?albumid=14
It looks like he was planning on making about 45 kits from the quantities on the sheets .
I'm not sure how many were actually sold ( or still exist ) but when I found out about all this I looked everywhere for one to buy... I did find about a half dozen that still exist ( including the one in the T.T. article which is sitting in the back of Chris Richards' shop ) but I didn't find anyone willing to part with one . I found one owner who installed his back in '77 and still runs it to this day ( He bought his MK1 brand new!! )
From all the info that I gathered, I did make up enough of a 'kit' to trial it on a stand-mounted spare crossmember . I found some issues ( mostly bump steer ) with it and basically re-engineered the whole thing using modern day 4140 heim joints and machined my own clevises out of 4140 also . I was doing a power steering upgrade along with several other front-end mods and installed it all this past winter. The ackerman is close to perfect now and I'm extremely pleased with the way the thing handles... All the mods are in albums on my member page if anyone wants a look.

Jim

Last edited: