paint question

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
My car is at the paint shop, but we have a question. I am looking through all my Tiger pics and it goes both ways---what color is it behind the grille? Some pics have the radiator support black, some body color, same with the area behind the lower grille bar on the top of the front apron. Any help--please??

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Not sure if your question includes the area inside the grill opening on the bottom behind the stainless trim strip. Mine came from the dealer new with that area black.
I recall a couple of years ago there was a debate going on among some in the community as to whether Rootes painted that area black with a brush or a gun and what shade of black (satin, semi-gloss, etc.). Looking at my car who is to say what degree of gloss there was 45 years ago!

Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On all alpines and tigers the area in the grill opening was painted a satin black. This is easier to see on the SIV on and tiger, the finisher along the valence marks the area behind that is painted black and there are parts of the vertical faces on the radiator support panel facing into the grill that are also black.

Other area rootes did this was in the drain area at the base of the A-post at the base of the windscreen.. the bit where the door cuts into the body. Thye also did this in the underside on the inside of the rear side valence.

You can see pics of this in my webshots that i took off a low milage untouched SIVGT... as for the grill and door drain.. its quite obvious in all the brooklands roadtest books.. especially on the lighter coloured cars.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Humbled

I stand corrected, and have seen a SIV done with the black shading,BUT, I can attest that our original Tiger B382000078 came from the dealer all a single flavour?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I stand corrected, and have seen a SIV done with the black shading,BUT, I can attest that our original Tiger B382000078 came from the dealer all a single flavour?

ok, I take back my thank you...haha. I have been looking through a lot of my Tiger pics from races/events and most are black behind the horizontal chrome lower grille strip--looks like that is what I will do then. Thanks everyone.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
paint

keep in mind that the black paint was put on with a brush, not sprayed.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I bet the shop would charge less if they could brush it on......:) I see the real #2 post was deleted..haha

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Randy, this the same car that you said had MKII seats in it from the dealer? It didnt have the black inthe drains etiher? maybe the car was written off and rebuilt before delivery? :p:D

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy, this the same car that you said had MKII seats in it from the dealer? It didnt have the black inthe drains etiher? maybe the car was written off and rebuilt before delivery? :p:D

Nope; no MK II seats. Everything was/is MK 1A except for my choice of dealer installed 289. The first repaint was in 1968 after the Watkins Glen fiasco. And the drains were body color both before and after. Ha!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nope; no MK II seats. Everything was/is MK 1A except for my choice of dealer installed 289. The first repaint was in 1968 after the Watkins Glen fiasco. And the drains were body color both before and after. Ha!

Sorry randy, i must have confused your car with another, someone said they had MKII seats from the dealer in their IA.

As for the no black in the doors, grill etc.. that is very strange.. what colour was the car underneath? Given it was turtled I assume you managed a good look at it :D

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry randy, i must have confused your car with another, someone said they had MKII seats from the dealer in their IA.

As for the no black in the doors, grill etc.. that is very strange.. what colour was the car underneath? Given it was turtled I assume you managed a good look at it :D

The belly had the stock red oxide covered with that darned bullet-proof undercoating from the rear to about the end of the X-frame. Somewhere in an old box in the attic are some instant Kodak pics, but I'll leave those for the grandkids to ferret out. PS: The dark humor in the pits after the flip was to note I was pumping the brakes with 4 tires in the air. Since most of the people there were older than me, I can feel safe that the witness list is a short one.

steven

Gold forum user
The belly had the stock red oxide covered with that darned bullet-proof undercoating from the rear to about the end of the X-frame. Somewhere in an old box in the attic are some instant Kodak pics, but I'll leave those for the grandkids to ferret out. PS: The dark humor in the pits after the flip was to note I was pumping the brakes with 4 tires in the air. Since most of the people there were older than me, I can feel safe that the witness list is a short one.

Yep, the same as my origional mark1, no body colour underneath. Only dark red primer and black undercoating.:cool: