Just try to find someone to paint your car

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Wow, nobody wants to paint this 13 foot beast. Just too much work most say. Would have to charge more than it's worth. Just a few of the kinder comments. Must have something against English iron. But I am in Houston not LA. Anyone else have to beg to get someone to take their money ??!! :D

Warren

Gold forum user
Uh really

Can they be that ignorant? YES they can,

What they should say is, "we like production work" The means in the insurance industry cookie cutter smash and grab with insurance repairs.

You might ask them if you deliver the car rolling and free of all parts that need to be removed for painting as this is their big time hard to calculate part of the process. You also tell them you will put back it back together freeing them and you from them loosing parts breaking them in the process...

Body shops are REALLY good at loosing parts and better at breaking them during removal especially the really expensive can't find parts.

In my stomping grounds there are cottage "below the radar hobby restorers" that skirt the AQMD enviro nazis et al and do nice work. I am sure there is some one in your local area, go to the donuts and coffee or other drive in event and ask around.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Search hot rod shops in Houston. Those guys will know where the paint shops are, heck, they may even paint cars themselves.

Mike

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Thanks, good advice. Yes, there is more money in gouging people for collison repairs than in doing careful paint work. A very annoying experience here.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
IF IT WUZ EASY . . . . .

Everyone would be an expert. I'm lucky enough to have a number of talented aging wonders to call on, which helps a lot when paint is involved. You're right about the new wave of insurance shops with bean counters in control and Nazi green police lurking nearby. Water paint with clearcoat while you wait. Getting a car painted with bootlegged enamel is akin to running moonshine at night by candle light.
Anyway, Houston has some of the best "home boy" paint troops you can buy. Check with Bruce at Keels & Wheels for some solid leads.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I lucked out--I brought mine in for some touch up work and my friend that owns the shop said "let me make it look good for you", how could I say no. I don't want a perfect paint job, then I would be afraid to drive it, so I told him to make it a nice looking driver. Can't wait to start buying rubber trim and interior pieces.