Members who have pulled Tiger V8's step in

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Just curious, how long should it take a decent mechanic to pull the small block,etc out of a Tiger to clear the way to paint ? I got a steep estimate from the painter to pull the engine and I just wondered what time is required to pull and reinstall the motor. Anyone who has either paid for this to be done or have done it themselves, please comment.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Just curious, how long should it take a decent mechanic to pull the small block,etc out of a Tiger to clear the way to paint ? I got a steep estimate from the painter to pull the engine and I just wondered what time is required to pull and reinstall the motor. Anyone who has either paid for this to be done or have done it themselves, please comment.

I think before anyone 'step's in' you might want to define if you mean he's going to pull the engine, wiring, column brake/clutch masters, etc., etc.

I've pulled mine both through the top and also by removing the cross member and dropping it that way. I prefer through the bottom but I suppose your painter would like a 'rolling' chassis. Also, the hood will be off so maybe through the top is easier in your case.

My WAG would be about 2 days total for the re & re ... but I usually take somewhat longer as I'm always putting in new and different parts on the install...

It's a tough question as it's not just like doing an engine change on an old beater...

Jim
B382000446

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
? I got a steep estimate from the painter to pull the engine

That is kind of a loaded question so why don't you tell us what hours the guy is quoting so the we can intelligently help you out. I just had my drive train removed by Bill Martin at Rootes Group and he has done these removals and installs probably more than anyone else. It takes more than 14 hours if things go smoothly just to get the driveline out. Then what ?? are you going to strip the car down for paint and then what about body work and then what is your end goal ??? It's pretty easy to spend north of $80k making these cars show worthy.

Moondoggie

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
R&R Ford engine

I have been billed for 14 hours labor to R&R the Tiger engine.

This does not include any labor to replace, rebuild or disassemble and inspect the engine.

The shop had lots of experience with Tigers.

From personal experience watching/helping Dan Walters do the job in my carport once in 1997? that time is reasonable.

Any questions? PM me please.

Rick

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
A friend and I pulled my Tiger motor (several times with various Tigers) in about 6 hours while going out the bottom--much easier. I would think an experienced shop would be able to do this in that time very easily. Good luck.

steven

Gold forum user
I am a newbe on restoring a Tiger however I think it took about 8 hours setting up the dolley, dropping the front end and removing the complete motor and transmission. Thats with 2 old chaps, young's should be quicker.

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Thanks, everyone. My guy is saying 20 hours and $1700 for re and re. I just about choked on that. But maybe not that far off reality. While I would have jumped on this myself in other times, at 70 with no shop to work in, I am forced to have it done. Paint job just got more expensive.

wag123

Gold forum user
Pulling the engine & transmission out of the bottom, with the right equipment/tools and procedural knowhow... 6 to 8 hours with two people. This assumes that you don't run across any rusted-in bolts or any other such road blocks during the process. Someone with a LOT of experience doing this can probably shave a couple of hours off of this. It takes a couple of hours longer putting it back in than it does taking it out. 20 hours is a fair estimate from your guy, and $1700 is a fair price.
While you have the engine & tranny out of the car there are some things that you should have a look at (and probably go ahead and replace), like the clutch & throwout bearing (definitely replace the throwout bearing and buy a VERY GOOD quality one). Also, look closely for any oil and coolant leaks. This would be the time to address any of these kinds of issues.

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Pulling the engine & transmission out of the bottom, with the right equipment/tools and procedural knowhow... 6 to 8 hours with two people. This assumes that you don't run across any rusted-in bolts or any other such road blocks during the process. Someone with a LOT of experience doing this can probably shave a couple of hours off of this. It takes a couple of hours longer putting it back in than it does taking it out. 20 hours is a fair estimate from your guy, and $1700 is a fair price.
While you have the engine & tranny out of the car there are some things that you should have a look at (and probably go ahead and replace), like the clutch & throwout bearing (definitely replace the throwout bearing and buy a VERY GOOD quality one). Also, look closely for any oil and coolant leaks. This would be the time to address any of these kinds of issues.

Yes, I have thought about those replacements while they are easy to do. Regarding the re and re of the engine ; I guess if you want to play, you have to pay. I guess I have been living in the dark ages.
Thanks for the input.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Outs and Ins

Gee! Lots of chatter on this one. Been there and done that so many times, the bride catches me twisting wrenches in my sleep. Allowing for a certain skill & experience level, the man's quote is more than fair. Keep in mind that coming out is a lot less fussy than returning into a cleaned & painted cubby hole. There will also be the "discovery" stuff that needs attention once yer in there anyway. Restoration ain't for the timid wallet in the first place; Tigers, because they are mongrels, gain expense speed rather quickly . . . . . .keep pickin' at it. rw

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks, everyone. My guy is saying 20 hours and $1700 for re and re. I just about choked on that. But maybe not that far off reality. While I would have jumped on this myself in other times, at 70 with no shop to work in, I am forced to have it done. Paint job just got more expensive.

This would have made a good "work day" for some members if we were all closer.

steven

Gold forum user
This would have made a good "work day" for some members if we were all closer.

Come to think of it, with airfares the way they are, I could fly over, camp at a members place, help with the removal and fly home for less than they want to charge you.:D