Ford 4.6 alloy

steven

Gold forum user
There is a alloy windsor V8 for sale near me. Can this be adapted to fit a Tiger? I already have parts for rebuilding the 260 but was wondering if the alloy motor can fit without huge modification?

Up for sale is a 4.6 V8 alloy block,crank,pistons and rods,left hand head and head bolts,have the right side head also but has had the cam friction welded to the journel (no oil).Items are out of a 02 explorer.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The 4.6 is about 10" wider and 5" higher... so pretty much impossible to fit

Jim
B382000446

steven

Gold forum user
Thanks for that, I have been researching it and realised it was a OHC unit and far to wide big for out cars. It had me tempted, the chap has one close by and its selling for $300 at the moment. Oh well, will fit the allow heads and the other good bits to the 260.:)

steven

Gold forum user
We can all dream, I thank you for the prompt response, its always great the assitance and help from this forum. I recently received the DVD from the last 2011 annual get together at the Queen Mary. The talk from those great guys about their days racing, selling, servicing the Tigers and others was great. I have just loaned my copy to 1 of the 3 known Tiger owners in Brisbane Australia. all good.:)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just build a proper 347 or 363. More HP than the Coyote and it fits.

I always thought a nice setup would be to use one of the aftermarket alloy world products windsor 302 blocks with your choice of alloy heads and manifold. It would be even better than a big stroker.. you remove heaps of weight from the front end so in theory better acceleration, braking, handling and you wont need to chase huge HP so it will be more tractable....

that said.. you could do the above setup with a 347 or 350 stroker kit.. and have the weight loss AND huge HP... and probably no ability to get it to the road.. :D

.. didnt sandy granz (sp?) go down that path? and jerry's twin turbo tiger is running an alloy stroker block IIRC .. oh heck.. never enough HP

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Just build a proper 347 or 363. More HP than the Coyote and it fits.

Oh I am happy with my 289 for now, just saying if I had ALL the money in the world and a spare Tiger to cut up....haha... My last Tiger (now Carroll Shelby's) had a built 302 with 326hp at the rear wheels and a 5 speed, that was a great car to drive.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
I dont know how it was done, or who did it, but I think you can fit a 351 in, and those can be stroked over 400cu.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Anything CAN be done

You can shoot yourself in the foot too!

But the higher deck height of the 351 W 1/2 inch" makes the engine wider and taller than the 302.

Significant surgery to the firewall and inner fenders are required. Maybe the steering too? That would be irreversible so? What does that do to the value of the car?

More is not always better. Many Tiger owners I know have a reserve of power they seldom use. Anything over 200 HP makes a much more energetic car vs the stock 2V 260.

Rick

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
More is not always better. Many Tiger owners I know have a reserve of power they seldom use. Anything over 200 HP makes a much more energetic car vs the stock 2V 260.

A well built 347 will be more than you will ever need. Mine still catches me by surprise and dare I say, frightens me at times. Almost as much as when I screwed things up flying a Apache.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Mine still catches me by surprise and dare I say, frightens me at times. Almost as much as when I screwed things up flying a Apache.

Duke,
I think we all can agree that Lew Spencer was one hell of a driver and his take on the Tiger was " The biggest problem with the Tiger was it tended swap ends without warning at the most inopportune times" The problem....was never cured by the Shelby crew....was likely caused by too much horsepower installed in too short chassis.

Just be carefull out there and keep that in the back of your mind...I once
let up lightly on the gas in my Cobra doing more than 125mph and the thing swaped ends so fast it was scary. I was lucky that it kept going straight on a two lane road with trees on both sides. Never did get the stains outa my shorts

Moondoggie

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Duke,

Just be carefull out there and keep that in the back of your mind...I once
let up lightly on the gas in my Cobra doing more than 125mph and the thing swaped ends so fast it was scary. I was lucky that it kept going straight on a two lane road with trees on both sides. Never did get the stains outa my shorts

Moondoggie

So how do you slow down safely in the cobra if you can't let up lightly at that speed :eek:

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Ditto! No way it will fit, though.

My point was to have a lighter, all aluminum, engine good for 275rwhp with modern fuel injection, reliability, drivability, etc. A 275rwhp Windsor running a carb would be more... temperamental, I would think. It's moot, as I wouldn't want to try fitting it in.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
So how do you slow down safely in the cobra if you can't let up lightly at that speed :eek:

Tiger Tamer,

In this particular case I was WOT in 3rd gear when I saw a car cross the road
a ways down the road in front of me so I lifted on the throttle !!! The car came down hard on compression causing the rear wheels to loose it and come around. My Cobra had about 600 hp with an aluminum flywheel so stuff can happen in a split second... I never did that again !!!

Moondoggie