FS Tiger 1/26/12

Bendango

Silver forum user
Started looking at this back in November. Glad I took some time to learn a bit about the cars. Like Peter Brady once said caveat enptor....

tiger331

Bronze forum user
I have it also seen last night.
I think this is the worst way to get a tiger.
The "new paint" is nothing, this is a real bad restauration project.:eek:
Here in europe, those cars are in the 10 to 14' Dollar range.
All of the works, whitch have been done in the last years must be done again.:mad:

Hans

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
He pulled the ad at $19100 bid

At the top of the finished auction it says... " This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available" so he might have pulled it and did a deal off of e-Bay to save some selling fees... happens all the time, probably why the listing fees are so high :confused:

Jim

chirodoc

Gold forum user
I would think that a "SALVAGE TITLE" would be a deal breaker. The sellers web site says they pulled the EBAY listing untill they can resolve how the car got a salvage title .

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"Salvage Title"

"Salvage Title" could mean any number of bureaucratic history SNAFU's. For example, I know of a for sure real Tiger body going back together in Mass after having been modified/stripped by PO's. There will be a DMV dance-thru-the-hoops. Stuff happens. However, having said that, my concern with the Red (once green) piece is the amount of cash & labor needed to restore the obvious noticables in the photos.

Firebuff

Bronze forum user
Help me out here!!??

I've been looking at a lot of Tigers, that being said, I'm certainly not an expert. This E-bay listing happens to be in my neighborhood. Other then not "Show" ready, whats the deal with "Run...Away!!" If the title is truly a paperwork problem and not an actual "Salvage/Total" it looks like a decent deal on a decent car.. Help me out.. what is the totally untrained eye missing..!!??????

chirodoc

Gold forum user
Tiger For Sale

It' called RUST/CANCER ! Bondo and shiny paint can hide major repairs especilly inside the rocker-sil panels. The rocker panels, inner and outter along with the inner sill panel are a structural component of the vehicle's unibody. This car shows rusted through floor pans, and rust at the pinch welds on the inner sill panel along with fresh paint, or undercoating on the underside of the vehicle. The transmission trans shifter shows rust at the boot which might indicate exposure to salt.
To see what a mess can be hidden by previous cosmetic repair and BONDO, Google "1964 Sunbeam Alpine Restoration".

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More negatives

"Run...Away!!" If the title is truly a paperwork problem and not an actual "Salvage/Total" it looks like a decent deal on a decent car.. Help me out.. what is the totally untrained eye missing..!!??????[/QUOTE]

First; there's nuthin' wrong with a wounded driver if you're out to have fun and don't mind keeping a toolbox busy. Some of us are way too experienced in seeing what mother nature reclaimed inside the carcass. Door sag from a rotted A-post bottom and/or inner structural sill "swiss-cheesed" can be gussied up with some barnyard hinge work, but doesn't prevent the car from being held together by only the paint. When nobody is lookin', I always grab a door handle with the door slightly ajar and lift up, hard. More than once, we've seen the wrinkles come out of the rag top by doing this!!

Firebuff

Bronze forum user
Awesome stuff..!!

This is great.. however.. living in the Northwest.. and growing up on the coast.. Rust is something I see everyday.. love the lifting the door handle deal.. do you see any issues with the VIN/Block# for trying to get it a TAC#?? Anything and everything you guys can pass on would be awesome..!

Thanks

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
The most helpful feedback has already been given, as far as I know. What struck me was what looked to be actual holes in the floor pan, as already noted. And the fresh undercoat covering everything, as already mentioned.

Most of my comments are of the "it seems curious that.." rather than things to be on the lookout for.

Overall, this car did not seem like it was well prepared for sale. There is new paint and undercoat, hiding who knows what, but the car seemed otherwise very tired. It is almost like they did the minimum necessary to get the car to passingly presentable and threw it on the market. The inconsistency just gave me a bad feeling. Not much help there in what to look for, but overall gave a feeling of just something is not right.

The engine and bay were totally gringy, they had to scrap crud off the valve cover to show the Sunbeam sticker, the oil filter seemed to be just floating rather than tied down and mounted properly, etc. It is almost like a barn find condition in that area, with a new aircleaner and element.

There also seems to something amiss in the trunk area. Curious how it is all stripped and the spare tire hold-down mount has been changed to a stud. Every Tiger I have seen had a threaded hole there. The welds on the hold down "cap" also looked quite different from how they look in my car. Also the vertical face of the forward wall seems to have some irregular spot welds that are not on my car. Cannot see if there are the hold down brackets for the false floor, which is missing. Would appear some repairs have been made, and if so, I would want to know why. Repairs are good thing, one just wants to know the full story. The missing false floor and tank area covers are issues fairly easily dealt with, but are things to be recognized as fix-up expenses one would probably want to address.

The interior looks very tired, although it has new door panels. Again, not the sort of thing that commands a premium price. Also they are attached in a curious way with the pressed in buttons. Not necessarily a bad thing, but clearly not standard and one wonders why.

You raise a very interesting point about the differences in last digits of the JAL and the VIN numbers. They seldom if ever exactly match as far as I know. However, the gap here seems unusually large. I bought my car new in 67 so I am pretty confident about it and it has passed a TAC inspection I finally got around to a few years ago. The number gap on my car is 17, which Norm Miller once told me seemed a bit on the outer limits. Here the gap in numbers is 68. Again, curious.

As far as I know, the TAC process a lot on finding evidence of things reflecting construction techniques as undertaken by Jensen in the original build process. I am not sure if the VIN and JAL figure a lot into the process.

I would say the more you can look at Tigers that other people have the more you can develop an eye for what seems at least worthy of further inquiry.

I also like Randy's comment about wounded drivers and toolboxes. Very fair perspective. At some price, this car would have been an acceptable buy. As noted by Hans, it seems to have gone beyond that point, at least IMHO.

Sorry for being so long and maybe too chatty. Hope there is some value in all that.

Gene

Last edited:

Firebuff

Bronze forum user
Perfect info..

I appreciate any and all info.. so your not winded at all.. I figure if and only if they get the title figured out, I'll go see the car in person and give it a good go through.. with my mechanic and see what I'd be getting into. I was thinking the price was a little high, especially if there is a bunch of little things.. I'm just trying to not let my desire to cloud reality..

Anything else any one want to add feel free...

Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
Seller

In his first pre ebay listing this guy says holy as the pope are the floors. Now no such statement..... why
Some elements of the car reflect a rode hard and put away wet bucket.
There are hoses which go thru the passenger compartment from the scuttle, otherwise known as fresh air box which enclose the heater.
Once the rubber cracks water drops onto the floor of the footwell and the firewall. In addition to this water problem the weakly designed hydraulics leaking and destroying any paint protection on the surfaces and you have a car needing chemical or sandblasting to clear rust.
As for a Salvage Title, the story of the "dads old axe" as taken from the brother site e mail list, Tigers United.
As the story goes the axe handle gets changed 2x then the head, then the sheath, but it is still grand dads axe.
Once branded the title will be subject to a similar branding on whatever state the car goes to. It can be something as easy as a rear quarter panel. My 64 Falcon convt. was hit in the rear, the body shop said 2500 for parts and 1500 for the repair. Insurer said we will total the car, I said I bought a parts car for 100 bucks they said OK and easy. Point is if you know you have the power if you don't a car could get a salvage tarring for a little wing and a pricy repair estimate. It has been weeks since I reviewed the pics but I agree on a rear clip probably being done and totaling the car.
I am in the insurance biz so I did not get bit in the ass by the adjuster but only cause I know better.

You can TAC a car with a state assigned number, a missing VIN JAL tag does not make the car not a Tiger, read the language on a TAC cert. for yourself it is enlightening.