CA YOM license plates

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I was in Cambria this weekend and bought a pristine pair of Black plates
for the Tiger that are DMV clear. I have the application 5004.1 for YOM
but have a few questions for anyone that has done this, did you have to surrender your current plates at the time you applied and did it take longer
than just a simple DMV visit....Yeah I know ..loaded question:eek:

Moondoggie

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
[QUOTE simple DMV visit....Yeah I know ..loaded question:eek:

Moondoggie[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me that our NH DMV bureaucracy is so much simpler. Being a volunteer citizen legislative body, we just starve them of money so they can't screw with us (much).

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I tried to hang on to my previous CA personalized tiger plates but the local DMV insisted that they had to be turned in. In the past the DMV did allow you to "collect" plates but it seems now they are concerned about unused plates floating around.

You may have already "lost" the front plate and it may turn up someday in your garage and you can hang on to it as a memento but it will be very unlikely you'll be able to get it registered again for actual use.

I had talked to a woman at the DMV in Sacramento that was willing to let me keep the old plates and register the new ones over the phone but there was a minor glitch on my end so wound up I couldn't do it with her. So it may just depend on who you talk to at the DMV. It might pay to talk with someone at AAA.

Warren

Gold forum user
Perfect 1967 Sticker

So as it is told to me CA DMV requires the YOM sticker to remain on the plate and they record the number on the sticker.
When you get your Calif. registration on your car the sticker matches the paper reggie number.
I know that some buy the repops on Epay for 15 bucks but some paint the picture of hundreds of the same numbered sticker being sold in California.

Has anyone had a bummer with the repops?

I have a perfect in the package 1967 sticker I need a 1966

Oh, by the way INF 70 submitted to the DMV with the proper fee will get you a chain of registered owners in California as far back as the computer records go/ My car was owned by Lance Niebauer an aerospace pioneer in kit airplanes and a former member of CAT always interesting and only 5 bucks....

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Warren,

I just went to the DMV yesterday so I can tell you what they do right now.
On the YOM form there are places for the DMV clerk to list:
Year of base plate, color of plate background and characters, year of tab or sticker color and number. So the data is there for the DMV to us so it is very possible that a repop would get noticed and cause your application to be rejected. I bought a original tag for $52 from this guy on Ebay
Frank Whittle open-cut@sbcglobal.net and it was in perfect condition. I know that he has several 1966 tags available for the same money. You might email him and work a trade or just buy a new tag.

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks

Nice to know what they do now at least in your local DMV. What Is most likely the trigger is your current registration printed with the number from the old sticker?
Or is it the number on the current year, My guess would be the current year.
I know this may sound like a dumb question but everyone know voodoo chicken bones and just bad attitude of the DMV employees rule especially when the suspense anything to Sacramento for approval..

It is also my understanding that the add'l fee is a 10 buck per year charge and the car my never be no op without de activating the plate much like a vanity plate. I bet they would demand the pate be surrendered too.

Quite crazy but figure they are running out of numbers for plates saw one starting with a 9 and six digits following....