Hollywood Sports cars

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I was reading Sports Car Graphic from 1965 and ran across this ad, very cool to see these old advertisements.

21141a8.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for posting that... obviously HSC was one of "the" tuners in the day being they had "Mr bracket" doing the design/fab of their performance parts. The HSC Tiger was the one that developed the LAT options for us Tiger boys.. but it's interesting they offered a 188bhp alpine motor... interesting they give the HP rating.. if it was to SCCA F production spec i wonder how they got the power using the stock carbs?

As a side HSC ran a SII alpine at sebring and other events. Very trick car and as always very well rpesented, metalic blue, red innner arches and chrome wires along with filler through the boot. Car is now MIA.. but would be an awesome find.

Sunbeam74

Bronze forum user
HSC Alpine

BTW< I think George Cheyne may have owned this car into the late 60's maybe even early 70's.

Some may remember George raced a number of cars but he ran a Pinto in IMSA and I think must have done pretty well.

Steve

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for posting that... obviously HSC was one of "the" tuners in the day being they had "Mr bracket" doing the design/fab of their performance parts. The HSC Tiger was the one that developed the LAT options for us Tiger boys.. but it's interesting they offered a 188bhp alpine motor... interesting they give the HP rating.. if it was to SCCA F production spec i wonder how they got the power using the stock carbs?

As a side HSC ran a SII alpine at sebring and other events. Very trick car and as always very well rpesented, metalic blue, red innner arches and chrome wires along with filler through the boot. Car is now MIA.. but would be an awesome find.

Michael, I don't know if yours was a typo or if you misread the hp figure- they were claiming 118 hp for the Alpine- that seems reasonable.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Indeed it was a typo.. i did mean 118 (not 188!!! yikes).. and yes stand by somewhat surprised with 118hp on zenith carbs. Back in the 60's the alpines under the F prodcution rules were not that hevaily modified comapred to what we do today.

They still ran stock rods, maybe had aftermarket pushrods and pistons.. but valve sizes were stock and apart from carefully polishing and balancing all you could really do was up the compression and go for a wiilder cam. Without the ability to help the engine breath you are limited by the carbs as to HP you can make.. and 118 on a Zenith motor is pretty impressive. That said.. apparently the HSC alpine may not have been that reliable.

As a side note.. if you look through steves site you will see the engine mods to the SCF 74 Alpine.. a very compotent period car.. steve maybe you can chime in on the Hp figures witht he 1592 as SCF raced it?

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
HSC...these are the same guys that got 350hp out of a 260- and were smoking 289 Cobras on the straights!:)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just a little correction.. or added info regarding my earlier post.

While HSC did develop many of the LAT options, Buck reminded me that the early LAT products that were homolgated for racing were actually shelby sourced off his race program with the yellow car.. pre the HSC55 racer. Doane added to the collection of hot-up bits.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
site

DD,
i have heard some say steve's site is gone. if you are on the alpine forum and click on it you get a message that it doesn't exist.