New Listing Ebay

Cal44

Gold forum user
Well, there is fresh meat for shoppers on Ebay. Anyone know this Tiger? A little rough........... but nothing $30K to $?K wouldn't fix. Claims to be a '67.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Under other makes?

Ebay motors item 190335061949 is red. Appears to have been stored forever! LOL:eek:

Rick

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I would love to see this car back on the road and running again. In MHO, any Tiger that can be saved should be. I agree that it is going to take a lot of money to get there, even with a lot if "sweat equity" on the buyer's part. I guess one of the first decisions to make is whether you want to spend the money to bring it back to concours level condition or not. The obvious first order of business is to get the frame restored. Were it me (and it won't be) I would take advantage of the repair to install large enought pass throughs for the exhaust to run at least 2.25 inch exhaust pipes, and possibly 2.50 inchers if possible.
It looks like the car once had traction masters on the rear leaf springs. You can see the brackets where the u bolts attach the axle to the spring. Perhaps they were the bolt on type. Cannot tell if they were attached at one time to the frame because of the lift pad positioning on the frame. But that area of the frame and the panhard bracket on the body would also need to be carefully checked as well.
Obviously, all the hydraulics are going to need to be rebuilt. The rubber is going to be hopelessly compromised after sitting for so long. The brake booster is probably frozen up or even if not probably not sealing well and in need of a (expensive) rebuild. The caliper pistons are going to need new seals, and possibly new pistons if pitted. The point is really, there is a lot of little stuff that on the surface is there but will need attention. And the cost runs up really quickly. And we have not even begun to talk about the motor, new paint, etc. Is $30K enough, as was thrown out conversationally, I have no idea, never having done anything like this myself. But I bet is is going to be a surprisingly high figure.
One last suggestion if any reader is seriously interested in buying this car. I note that the car is in Michigan. Were it me, I would talk to Doug Jennings in Dayton, Ohio. I would pay him to go and have a look at the frame and give me an idea of what it would cost to fix it right. I know Doug only conversationally, but I have never heard anything but good things about his restoration skills. I am guessing he would have a very real but sobering assessment. Just my two cents. Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Restoration Costs?

From experience as both do-er and do-ee. Following rust around a Sunbeam body rapidly massages a $10K budget into $20K thru $30K. It's all man hours and hand knitting something that has laid around dead for upwards of 40 years or so. Just holding a rust bucket in the correct shape while re-hab progresses is a monumental challenge. My little Customer speach warns those who are raising a family or putting kids thru college to postpone or forget the whole idea. Try a lottery ticket first. One of the most budget damaging statements is when a Customer directs us to "Try this first and see where it leads" . Although people are very shy about having overspent, it makes complete sense to question those who have been down this road before. If you can afford it, great! Rust eats much more of a budget than mechanical any day. Keep em' runnin', randy