B38200011LRXFE for sale on ebay

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
$(KGrHqNHJDME-mH8Uzi0BPqptPj,9Q~~60_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...1285990?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c26dfcee6

car is presentable.. think we have seen it go round ebay a couple of years back...

home made VIN
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqRHJBwE-dspTE4EBPqpy!RkSg~~60_3.JPG

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Verification

Well the TAG has been replaced with a repro it seems. I asked for all the other #'s for verification purposes, but got no reply??

UPDATE: Got the following reply ;; ; ;
Dear 0neoffive,

The last time I listed my Tiger I got emails from people like you.

Do us both a favor and go find some other car to pick apart.

Or even better if you doubt the authenticity of my car. I am open to your wager.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy... you bad man.. you know better than to ask questions.. its an auction not a lucky dip.. there is no harm in asking for the other numbers.. assume the uy got lots of heat regarding the VIN tag.... does correlate with what i said though.. was offered before.

Warren

Gold forum user
Tough crowd

I do not blame him. I am sure however he is not looking at the complex problem of importing a car from Canada to the US. Someone should ask him if they left out the digit on the title too! It also would not be the first car with a title typo. The sins of a previous owner of loss of a tag is not a fatal event. There are 2 state ID registered cars on the list of authenticated Tigers. My side is they all should be state ID'ed just like some I have seen pics of cars down under, if nothing else as a anti theft measure. I know they can be ugly but if applied on the door jamb a good protection.

What matters is having the car TAC'ed as e bay has seen more than one car with missing elements sold. Personally I have seen some really nice cars with much nicer, more authentic yet created tags. It is a real bummer to prove up your car, but it saves headaches later, or right now for the seller of this red beast.

What truly is a bummer is all of us when selling a car fall into the same vat of bad blood swirling behind the statements, Caveat d' emptor, or "All is fair in love war , and used cars." Some things make it easier like TAC a Tiger registry
and yes even a smog check.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
It takes very little time to get the numbers off the rear end and transmisson, also should be able to get the build date off the motor. That should be enough to verify "unmolested condition". Also if the motor was "stroked" , isnt that NOT"unmolested" .When did sunbeam use round air cleaners?, must be a very, very rare one.

Warren

Gold forum user
Test

I was making a blanket statement in general, on car buying only new and old and the Caveat de Emptor . We here in Cali. have check every 2 years on all but exempt.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I wouldnt read to much into the unmolested condition.. look for all pruposes the car is quite a nice straight looking beast... the homemade VIn raises more questions than most.. we have all seen tags removed for restorations and then wrong riverts or even screws.. but it is odd to not have an original tag.

The guy would do himself a favour if he posted the trans/rear numbers.. and i dont think thats to much to ask in a collectors market car.

Last time he tried to sell it folks probably came down hard on him about the VIn.. but assume he was asked for trans/rear numbers last time.. so why not save the hastle this time and post them.. he does want to sell it right?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
ebay

michael,
i have a couple parts car that the vin tags have corroded away quite a bit from the weather. aluminum tends to do that in this part of the world. it kind of the same reaction we see on the front suspension wedges.

as far as the california car exams,i'm glad i live in the buckeye state. no inspections of any kind. no emmision,no mechanical,nothing!

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
California the same?

As Ohio. For our collector cars pre 70 something no emissions testing at purchase or thereafter. Glad someone else has trouble understanding Warren speak, he meant Tigers are exempt from smog checks..I think. We (SEMA) have had to lobby some to keep it that way.

No safety/equipment inspections either for old or late model vehicles. Only inspect for rust every 50 years :)

Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
Tough crowd

My sister in law has the masters degree in English, not me. I am too easy on words sometimes as I do not want to come off as a know it all. Just like when a poster asked for a technician to fix his Tiger, I refused the temptation to hammer him with a curt remark. Tiger owners/mechanics are not technicians, there is no place to hook up a code reader or computer.

Out here on the Left coast we get ripped every 2 years for 50 to 70 bucks a technician to verify the car passes a smog test. It is the sellers responsibility, but of course not an old exempt car. They used to make every even old car get checked on change of ownership.

Seriously, there is a car for sale in the forum here, it sold for 25 is and is now listed for 40 . If I were spending that kind of dough I'd get an oil analysis a compression check put it up on a lift and wiggle and prod every square inch. Call Graham or Norm and see what numbers belong to the vin down to the key codes on the locks.

It is unknown the motives of this seller. I asked him what the numbers were and he responded as if he had to ask his Technician where they were.
How could someone who has owned 4 Tigers be so in the dark?
I also asked him if the number on the title matched the vin tag, no reply.

Bottom line is a sad one guys like this either have something up their sleeve, are lazy,or just have too much money to care what their car sells for or ___________________________________ you fill in the blank.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Matching numbers

I think these are words that every car collector asks. "Is it a matching numbers car"? If a seller cant prove it is , walk away. I just dont like people claiming "unmolested", which I take to mean the way it rolled off the dealers lot. Maybe other collectors define those words differently, but that car is not showroom stock. Now, I relize most Tigers have been personalized, and thats all well and good, but a seller repersenting a car as unmolested, when it is missing factory parts, is just bullsh*t.
Oil filter moved
Wrong air filter
Wrong VIN (no 2)
Wrong wheeles
All that being said "It looked good on E-Bay"