Mecum Indy 2012, 4 Tigers on auction

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I see Mecum auctions has four 'Tigers' going to auction this weekend... looks like 2 this afternoon and 2 on Friday...

no affiliation...yada yada...

Jim
B382000446

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I can't vouch that these are all real... the last one on Friday is a MK1A with a T10 ... Hmmm...

There's one more today... says it's in the 'registry' and looks ( from the outside ) a lot like mine but has a 347 so might have another 30 hp ... lol!! ;)

Jim

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Second car today only went for $35K ... Dang !

Only other car I've seen with Epsilon 3 pc. wheels...

Maybe too many mods... :confused:

Jim

leepear

Gold forum user
I was at Mecum last year. The Wednesday cars were pretty average. So the prices seem pretty strong to me. The Friday cars if in the evening are really nice cars for the prime spot. Lee

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
to quote NCM

to quote Norman Miller:

Would you pay $63,000 for a Tiger with this chassis plate?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b63ea59c60ac1d44#cid=B63EA59C60AC1D44&id=B63EA59C60AC1D44!384

counterfeit_chassis_tag.jpg

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I like the flares on the red one, and I see both were missing their OEM aircleaners.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user

leepear

Gold forum user
One of the reasons to not buy a car at an auction is that vin example. The new owner probably thought he was buying a restored Tiger only soon to find out the sophistication of the Tiger collector group in trying to keep some purity in the few Tigers that were produced. Could be a legit number and TAC'd or TAC able car. I just hope he or she looked at that vin tag and realized no 40 year old vin tag could look that good. There is an Oldsmobile at this Mecum auction that a friend bought at the auction a couple years ago. He later found out the car was not as represented. Most of those 2400 cars have untold stories. Lee

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Car #3 just sold for $55k Yikes!

...listed as a '65 MK1A with no pics ... it had the vinyl soft top tonneau but didn't get to see the trunk so couldn't tell if was early or late car... maybe carnival red, hard to form an opinion when the camera is 50ft. away... lotsa 'shine' under all those lights :p

Auction listing said...

DESCRIPTION

- Fresh rebuilt original 260 V8 engine
- T10 4-speed transmission
- Body-up restoration
- Only 2,706 Mark IA cars built
- Minilite style wheels
- Rust free
- In excellent mechanical condition

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Last one ... listed as a '65 ... sold for $38,500

Listing details...
- Very early production Sunbeam Tiger
- Cobra 260 CI engine
- Optional Holley 4 barrel
- Come out of long term 30 year ownership
- Complete ground up restoration done 1989-1991 photos included
- Won many awards, pampered since 1991
- Rare factory luggage rack
- Chrome like new, stainless trim is near perfect
- Excellent interior, excellent carpets, burl walnut dash, correct top, radio, and heater
- Factory jack and same tools included

Growler

Gold forum user
4th Tiger

4th Tiger, a red 1965 (lot 255) sold for $55,000 plus buyers premium (I believe 7%).

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Looks like the modified cars brought less that those kept original...

That isn't always the case... This car is sort of a Doane Spencer-ish tribute car...

Lot # S102 1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1A Roadster Custom; S/N 382001019; Black/Black leather; Customized restoration, 1 condition; Hammered Sold at $152,500 plus commission of 6.00%; Final Price $161,650 --