Too Tall?

Chrisp

New forum user
I've been looking for a Tiger, but fear that I am too tall to fit and haven't yet had a chance to sit in one. I'm 6'3" tall - can anyone confirm that I should not consider at Tiger or maybe someone has modified one for a taller driver?

Thanks!

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm just over 6'1". With stock seats (new foam) my knees are on either side of steering wheel, and line of sight is at top of windshield frame in my Mk 1. My MkIa has a seat bolted lower to floor (on the floor really) and a smaller aftermarket steering wheel. Fit is much better , but still tight. I make it work in both cars, but they are not what I would call comfortable. There are other guys in the club your height that also make it work. If you have back, knee or neck problems, that might also be an issue. Just sit in one and try it on for size before you buy.
Mat

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
I'm 6'2" and have no problems with being comfortable in the car (Mk1) My line of sight is clearly below the windshield frame. I have an aftermarket hardtop that gives me plenty of headroom. I think the car should be driven topless mostly and of course there is no headroom issue then. My only fit issue is wide feet. I can't wear most of my shoes in the car as the pedals
are pretty tight.

Steve

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
and too wide

Just in the last few months I've begun to complain about not being able to get my foot in between the brake pedal and the tranny hump to operate the gas pedal. It seems my feet have grown bigger over the years.

Its a real rush to start stopping behind someone only to catch the edge of the gas pedal while pressing down on the brake and have the car give a giant lurch forward :eek: towards a stopped car in front.

I've recently been looking at and buying driving shoes. Basically slippers with a thin sole. The sole width seem to be narrower than coventional shoes many of which today have quite a wide sole designed onto them some extending out a 1/4" or so all around. Some brands of driving shoes have an extention along the right side of the right shoe which makes the shoe wider which defeats my needs.

Also the edges of driving shoe soles tend to be more rounded, doing less damage to the carpeting where your foot rests and scrapes along the right edge and also allows you to roll your foot from one pedal to the other without the heel getting snagged.

Over the years my requirements for the gas pedal position has seemed to have changed also. Along with finding narrower shoes I've repositioned the gas pedal to be just a little proud of the brake pedal. When braking now, I can feel when my foot clears the gas pedal and know I won't be coming down on the gas as I brake :D.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
too round?

This might not be for those of you in stock but for personalized class maybe a new steering wheel with a flat bottom. Just saw one on a "Tiger" on eBay over the weekend. Gives a little more leg room getting in and out. Looks nice but I would be surprised if legal in Calif.
GetImage.aspx

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Here's my 2cents. Once you drive a Tiger you will do whatever it takes to make it fit. Of course Im only 5-4 ,but the pedels are close together.

rab123

Bronze forum user
to tall

I am 6-4, fit is an issue. I have a smaller steering wheel, utilize driving shoes, do not drive with the top on, I can see through windshield, but sometimes seeing a stoplight is tough- the angle sometimes goes right through the top of windshield. But I love to drive it, for me it is only for good weather, which is easy in southern CA.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I bumped into an old acquaintance and he wanted a ride in the Tiger. I didn't think about him being 6-8 inches taller than me, good thing I had the top off.

It was like giving a dog a ride with its nose out the window. My friend was looking over the top of the windshield frame and really could have used a pair of aviator's goggles. I was wondering how he would have sat in the car with the hardtop on, maybe with his chin resting on the dash. Couldn't help but laugh.

zero2toy

Bronze forum user
If you dont fit, you can always pull an Arnold from Commando and rip the seat out and drive from the back seat :)

I kid, I am 6 foot and my father is an original tiger owner. I wear a size 12 shoe and i definitely cannot heal/toe, its more of a pinky toe/big toe action since the pedals are so close. I have totally hit the gas when braking like the guy mentioned before. I do though fit nicely in the car with the seat all the way back with the raiser bar under the seat folded down and the steering wheel all the way in. I wouldnt think a 6 food 3 inch person would have slight problems in a stock interior tiger. Just drive it on nice days with the top down like mentioned above, there really is no other way to drive a tiger anyway.

Just my two cents.