Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Left side of column

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Went to the CAT autocross last weekend and had another owner remark that my turn signal lever was on the wrong side. Mine is left hand drive and on the right. They were saying that the only thing they ever saw on the right was Alpine overdrive switch.

Steve

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Actually, your turn signal switch being on the right is "factory correct" in the ultimate sense! They all originally came that way. Given the symetrical design of the column cover, etc. most of us moved it around to the left side of the column where we are all accustomed to it being on American cars. I am an original owner and that is what I did. For further confirmation, check out Section N (Electrical Equipment), page 31 of the Rootes Manual WSM.143. The pictorial of the dash area shows a left hand drive configeration with the turn signal switch on the right side of the column.

Regards, Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Actually, your turn signal switch being on the right is "factory correct" in the ultimate sense! They all originally came that way. Given the symetrical design of the column cover, etc. most of us moved it around to the left side of the column where we are all accustomed to it being on American cars. I am an original owner and that is what I did. For further confirmation, check out Section N (Electrical Equipment), page 31 of the Rootes Manual WSM.143. The pictorial of the dash area shows a left hand drive configeration with the turn signal switch on the right side of the column.

Regards, Gene

The indicator side question is interesting.. they changed the sides on alpine production.. it was originally OD to the left and indicators to the right on the SI/II RHD cars.. then on the S3 OD on the left/indicator to the right.. then seme to switch back again.. this is all RHD... my LHD Tiger has it on the LHS its a 66 MKIA

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Very interesting differences, especially the Alpine changes back and forth.

For whatever it may be worth, I looked closer at my shop manual and noticed two additional things. One, it is a first reissue version and was issued 1967. As such, it covers both the Sunbeam 260 and 289. Also, in Section J (Steering), Page 5, there is a Direction Indicator Switch section that begins with a two sentence Description. The second sentence says "The lever points to the right hand side of the car and the striker also secures the slip ring to the inner column." Interestingly, this sentence has a little vertical dotted line on its left hand side. That leads me to believe it was an addition or possibly a change from the earlier version of the manual. Anyone have an earlier version of the manual that would say something different for the 1966 production cars? Regards, Gene :)

Cal44

Gold forum user
My ex Tiger was bone stock and never messed with. The turn signal switch/lever was on the right.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
This is right out of my Sunbeam 260 Handbook

Jul24019.jpg

I know its hard to read. If you zoom in, check out number 22 for the LHD and RHD

Last edited: