caliper rebuild source

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How about your garage?

Seriously, the Rootes Shop Manual says the calipers should never be split. However what's the magic in loosening 4 bolts, cleaning things up and then reassembling with new parts? (all the parts are easy to locate.) Proper torque is necessary and there is a difference in the torque on the inner bolts versus the outers.

We've split Tiger calipers on the race car a half dozen in just one season. Never had a rebuilding problem. Remember, the bore on the caliper is relatively unimportant since the seal surface is the outside of the piston. You do need to clean out the groove for the seal in the bore but that's easy with a dental pick. I recommend stainless pistons like Rick sells. These can usually be reused time after time after a very fine sanding with wet sandpaper & a light buffing. We assemble this with clear silicone grease.

The hardest part of the job might be just getting the calipers off & back on the car and bled properly. (You'd still have to do this part if you had them rebuilt.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

good luck,

bt,
at the beach

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I will be rebuilding these myself, but without splitting the calipers. If I learn anything to pass on to others who have not done it, I will post that later.

For those interested, I did find "Goldline Brakes" on the net that advertises rebuilding calipers. I did not contact them or know anything else about them, so I'm including this for information only.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
caliper re-builds

Hey there: I've been re-building them for our customers for years, and have to split most of them to access and bead blast the dust cover groove. We also hone the bores for good measure. The rust belt climate has taught us a few things about age & corosion. Got questions? E-mail to the shop at < willlett581@msn.com > keep em' runnin', randy

odl21

New forum user
you probably don't even need to split them. i rebuilt mine with new pistons and seals two days before i left for an 8000km rally and had them back on the car in under 2 hours. then you need to bleed them about 3 times to get all the air out....

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just rebuilt my calipers putting in new pistons from Rick. I did not use white grease, but lubricated the piston and new seals with synthetic brake fluid. The pistons were really tough to get seated so i'm concerned in not using the white grease are these pistons going to budge once I get the hydraulics hooked up and apply pressure? Any feed back would be appreciated. Don