Year of Manufacture black plate swap YOM

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone out there gone through the california dmv YOM process and swapped black license plates from another car onto your car? I have a set of nice original black plates and I'm getting conflicting information from the dmv on whether or not a year sticker (year of my car is 1967) is required for the back plate. If a 1967 sticker is needed can it be a reproduction (sold by someone on ebay for $10) or does it need to be an original sticker with a unique serial number?

thanks
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Phyrman

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
YOM

Bob, a friend of mine restores pld platres as a hobby and extra income. He has dealt with the Pasadena branch of the DMV and they are finnaly on track. To answer your question, the plate HAS to have the YOM on it that matches your cars YOM! If you want to talk to my friend, send me your contact number. Im about to get a set of Yellow plates assigned to my 1960 Ser2 Alp.

Bruce

venomous67

Bronze forum user
So does that mean you need the sticker with your year? Plates prior to 63 have YOM stamped into the plate, correct? As for the black plates, they're all stamped with a 63 in the upper right.

Another question I'm curious about - will you have to put an annual sticker on your black plate?

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
yom info

This is a good summary of all the issues:
http://reviews.ebay.com/DMV-clear-C...1951-1956-1963-YOM_W0QQugidZ10000000000961771

Although all yellow/black plates have the 63 stamped into the upper corner unless your car is a 1963 model the rear plate will also need a 'year' sticker attached that corresponds to the year of your car.
According to Bruce's friend and others I've spoken to new reproductions of the year sticker (found on ebay for $10 but some are better than others I guess) can and have worked, sometimes.
The DMV gives you a little metal tab (seen on the link above) that can be bolted next to the rear plate and that's where you put the current year sticker.

regards
Bob

venomous67

Bronze forum user
Any idea idea if the DMV will take issue with a restored plate when trying to re-register a black plate? Or would it be safer to get the old plate registered and then get it restored?

Warren

Gold forum user
Perfect 1967 Sticker

I have a mint in the wrapper 1967 reggie sticker, I need a 1966 duh due to their stupid format.
Seen several YOM's that disregard the leaving of the original sticker in the sticker well and using the plate topper as they describe for the month or 3rd. sticker.
I had bought and did a YOM on a motorcycle but never found out if it went thru with the ebay repop sticker that I bought for ten bucks. The buyer was advised that it may bounce as allegedly the old year sticker stays on to signal the year of the car.
It seems like they ought to do something I saw a 9XXXXXX number I bet they will have to go to a 10 digit plate soon.
Anyone have any input, or a 1966 sticker about?

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
sticker

Hi Warren, since I put up that original post I did the YOM black plate swap on my three cars.
All are 67's and in each case the DMV accepted 1967 repro stickers that I bought for $10 each on ebay.
At the DMV they carefully recorded the serial number of each of the repro stickers (they all have the same number), made a copy of the plates and sent it off to Sacramento. A couple of weeks later they sent me the metal tags and the current registration stickers.
I could have gotten away with using fake aluminum repro plates also (as long as they were DMV clear) since even the YOM expert at that DMV branch wasn't that clear on the whole concept.
regards
Bob

Warren

Gold forum user

Remember the sellers epay name? I bought one from a fella on the East coast and no do not see his seller name in my feedback but it has been a couple of years now.. Thanks W,

Found him 1junkman , Thanks for your input. All I can add to the topic is a YOM can't be non oped. I know this matters little to a Tiger owner but I was up to 8 to 10 motorcycles and at 80 odd bucks per vehicle it adds up.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Sometimes I think each DMV has it's own rules. When I registered my Tiger after I bought it the old owner had personalized plates on the car, he kept those but gave me the original blk/yellow plates off the car. I took those into the DMV and they would not let me register them to the car unless I had an old registration form showing that those plates did indeed come off that car. I asked about the YOM program since I have used it in the past, they said sorry, not unless I had proof. Yet on a couple street rods I had years ago they only checked to see if the plate was clear, once they found out it was they let me register them to that car. I may try again next year at a different DMV and see what happens. UGH !!!!

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Cobrakids, I'm not a DMV expert but maybe what they meant was once the original plates are swapped off the car (in this case for the personalized plates) they can't be assigned back to the vehicle unless the YOM program is used and those plates are DMV clear.
If original black plates are on a car and the registration has never been suspended then the DMV doesn't collect any other yearly fees other than registration, those are just your normal plates even though they aren't the current design.
To get your black plates back on the car you would need to reassign them via the YOM program.
They then collect an additional $45 per year for those 'special' plates.
If you tell them that they were the original plates on the car they will only get confused.
At least that's my understanding.
regards
Bob

Warren

Gold forum user
Pink

A pink slip is required or old registration is req'd to tie a old plate to a vehicle to re activate.
However.... if while in the period of in activity someone has decided to use the number of the plate as a personalized number it will not be available.

What has happened to me is, the number and the application gets suspended to Sacramento then 6 weeks to 6 months later, YES I waited 6 months on one application. Then after the wait......... I got a new white plate and a too bad you can't have that number.

Exactly why you should call the 800 number for DMV and opt for the call back option, wait..... then ask if the plate number is available before sending in the application, or going in as someone may be using that plate number, they do not say that but if you apply logic to the often illogical that is all.

You can sometimes get the same info. from AAA by calling and saying I am going to buy this car from someone can you check the status of the registration?" if it is off record you might be in biz, but a call to DMV is most likely the best 1 choice.

I have been at swap meets garage sales on a Sat. afternoon and called AAA to check on a car bike or old plate cause they are not good for much owing back registration, or if the plate number is in use. If in use you have to hang it on the garage wall till it is not. If it owes money and is still in computer BUMMER as Cali. is allegedly not letting vehicles drop off anymore. I know this is a little OT but we all love and seek bargain cars to add to the herd.

That is the only reason why a insurance agent who works for another big 3 company buys a AAA membership.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Cobrakids, I'm not a DMV expert but maybe what they meant was once the original plates are swapped off the car (in this case for the personalized plates) they can't be assigned back to the vehicle unless the YOM program is used and those plates are DMV clear.
If original black plates are on a car and the registration has never been suspended then the DMV doesn't collect any other yearly fees other than registration, those are just your normal plates even though they aren't the current design.
To get your black plates back on the car you would need to reassign them via the YOM program.
They then collect an additional $45 per year for those 'special' plates.
If you tell them that they were the original plates on the car they will only get confused.
At least that's my understanding.
regards
Bob
Thanks Bob, I may try that next year and see where that gets me, I like the look of the blk/yellow plates better than the new 7 character ones.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Cobrakidz post with link got me started again looking for a fix for my off-center DMV plate. Someone had suggested https://www.licenseplates.tv/ several months back under another thread. I see they have a 10% discount going on for xmas I would guess (NA). code: "LPMH2012"

Justin

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Picked this up (the lower one:D) just before X-mas.

Perfect job except for one issue. The paint on the letters isn't bonded on very well. Maybe hit it with a coat of urethane. That won't harm the background color reflectance will it?

Got it all prepped but since it's only a facsimile I'll have to find a nice place to store it. LOL

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I can't remember if I'd mentioned this before but Norm Miller has a record of my Tiger ( in Cal. until 1990 ) once having that very same plate ##

Jim
B382000446

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Jim, I had OTIGERO but when I found XTIGERX was available I went for it. It's a nice personalized plate with tiger framed between the X's.

Do you recall if the lettering was off-center as in the upper portion of the pic in my previous post? I'm just curious.

I hope I won't get in trouble for any lead footing and such you might have done when you had the plates. LOL