Wide Ratio Transmission with 3.07 Rear?

Tigrrr

Silver forum user
I know the 3.07 rear gearing is really a good improvement to the close ratio transmission, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to install a 3.07 rear gear with a wide ratio transmission. If so, what was it like? I wonder if it would be too much and if the standard 2.88 rear would be a better setup for the wide ratio transmission. Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well can't say how it would feel but you can get a look at what RPM's look through the gears.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/GearCalc.html

The calculator has a couple of preset transmissions, and 'Toploader Wide Ratio' should have the tiger wide ratio gear in it, then just plop in your tires, and whatever rear ratio you might want to look at. It will give you a breakdown of the speeds in gears to get an on paper idea.

HTH

Sandy

Tigrrr

Silver forum user
Thanks! I appreciate the information! It looks like I will be sticking with a 2.88 rear gear. The poor gas mileage in 4th gear on the highway is the kicker for me. At 3,198 RPM, my Holley would be sucking down gobs of fuel when I would want to be most economical. Thanks again.