Antique Automobile Club of America Eastern Division Spring Meet

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

The Antique Automobile Club of America held its Eastern Division Spring Meet at Carlisle, PA on 1 June 2013. Entered for judging in the Open Foreign Sports Car 1960-69 class, my Tiger received a First Place Junior Award. For this event I displayed my Tiger with its stock steel wheels, bias ply white wall tires and original caps and beauty rings. I also installed a reproduction Lucas battery.

For those not familiar with AACA judging, Junior Awards are for cars that have never been judged before at an AACA meet. Awards are based on a total of 400 points and the car receiving the highest point total over 365, and all cars within 10 points of that are awarded first place awards. In addition to my Tiger, a beautiful 1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster also received a First Place. Now that my Tiger has received a First Place Junior Award it moves into the Senior Award Category at subsequent events.

The photo shows the judges inspecting my car during the judging process. They zeroed right in on the several LAT options, questioning whether they were “stock” equipment. Anticipating this, I had on hand copies of the LAT options catalog attesting to the fact that these options were essentially dealer accessories. They seemed convinced and no points were deducted for those options...that I know of.

Jim

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well done Jim, doing the marque proud! Good to see you take the supporting documentation, there are so much misinformation about the cars out there. As a side note does your soft top have the light grey headlining ?

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael

No, as I recall the headlining is black vinyl. I just installed a new soft top from Sunbeam Specialties.

Jim

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
car show

Hi Jim, congrats, like Michael says it sounds like you got rewarded for being prepared.
Great car.
Bob J.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Jim,

Congratulations on the win!

Just curious about the replica Lucas battery. Did it come with the vent hose that runs through the hole on the trunk floor and special caps over the cells that attach to the hose?

I am also curious if they said anything about the "unfinished" bottom of the trunk false floor. I seem to remember that judges at another event dinged you for that, not knowing that what you have is indeed "correct". Do you ever get to know what kept you from having a perfect score?

Gene

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Congratulations on the Jr win---good for the marque. Now go get them in the Sr division.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gene

The Lucas Battery does NOT have the vent tube. See photo. Although, one could somehow affix a tube to the caps to make it appear absolutely correct...I just did not go that far. For safety and security they also allow the quick disconnect.

No feedback on the unfinished underside of the trunk false floor. In fact, very little feedback at all. The judges hardly talk to you except to clarify different things on the car and perhaps some general info about the car. AACA is very tight-lipped about their judging results. They will not share the judging sheets. The best you can get is to request feedback in writing and they will provide some general comments about any issues that resulted in a significant loss of points.

IMHO..in the interest of enabling the owners to further improve their cars, I think a more informed dialogue would benefit all. I believe the Corvette guys give the owner copies of the completed NCRS judging sheet so you can see all the points you lost.

All that said, these people are volunteers and they had about 700 cars to judge in a few hours, so a tip of the hat to those who dedicate their time.