Preventing T-5 from leaking at speedo gear

Orig65Tiger

Bronze forum user
I plan to install a T-5 transmission which I bought many years ago from Dale Akuszewski. The speedometer mechanism is below the ATF level in this setup. I have heard pro and con about whether this causes a leak of ATF out the speedo cable.

Does anyone have first or second hand knowledge whether there is a problem and what fixes have been developed?

I've talked with Dale. I know having a fresh speedo cable is critical. I know Tom Hall has developed a retrofit designed to eliminate any problem.
Can anyone provide a review on Tom's retrofit? If the potential leak is an issue, are there other solutions?

Thank you very much.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tom Hall's double O-ring mod looks great, but I have not actually used it. (I opted for the S-10 tailshaft which does not require rotating the transmission.)

If Tom says it works, I'd trust what he says.

His mod would be my first choice. However, if those are no longer available, I'd look at the end of an old speedo cable to see if it could accommodate an extra O-ring. And then, on installation I'd probably resort to Ultra RTV on the final 1/4" of the shaft, recalling the mantra "The bigger the glob, the better the job."

bt