Cross Hatch Wheel Trims

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I know that the chances are slim but wanted to put this out there. We have two and need two more x style cross hatched wheel trims for stock Tiger metal wheels. Please let me know if anybody comes across any.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
While helping a friend restore his car last year I noticed he had extra trim pieces--I can see if he wants to sell them.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The ones you have are the correct Tiger ones.. there are some trims that are aftermarket that were made in the UK in 60's and then in Hong Kong in the 80's that look almost identical. The area around the valve is slightly different, not as wide a solid part, and the mounting slots are different, but you dont see that when the hubcap is on.. they are a bit easier to find..and you have a chance at getting them new, so cast your gaze through the aftermarket period wheel trims... I found some for my friends car a little while back.

George Simpson

Gold forum user
trim rings

I know that the chances are slim but wanted to put this out there. We have two and need two more x style cross hatched wheel trims for stock Tiger metal wheels. Please let me know if anybody comes across any.
sunbeam specialties part number ET61 phone (408)371-1642 Los Gatos,Ca. $24.00 each in my 2008 catalog:)

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Guys, thanks for all of the help. Sunbeam Specialties is out of both trims with no supplier at this time. I have been looking and have found some repros that are for 13 inch wheels but listed as correct for other cars. I may buy a set to try in hopes that they will works. They are fits for Ford Cortinas, Hillmans, Vauxhialls an such. I will continue to hunt and hope that something works out.

At this time I can say that my car looks great from one side!

SIV Allan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I think that Tigers used both types of trim rings - cross hatch or non cross hatch, but have misplaced the info with the Vin where change occurred from one type to the other.

IIRC that there is mention in the BON.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cross Hatch Versus Slotted Wheel Trim

I also always thought that the later Tigers used the slotted wheel trims, not the cross hatch type. I am no expert, but the Rootes Parts Manual indicates that part number 1224813 was the wheel trim for cars up to B9473167 and that 1206741 was the wheel trim part number for cars from B9473168. Is the difference between the two the cross hatch style versus the slotted style? The Alpine section lists part number 1201269 for cars up to B94102172 and the same (as the Tiger) 1206741 for cars after B94102173. At least the later Alpines and later Tigers seem to have used the same trim plates.

David

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The MKIA and MKII used the Alpine style slotted trims, the early tigers ran the cross hatch and at least some of the cross over body cars ran them too... there was some discussion about when the change occurred, Bill Carrols book mentions it as does the BON.. but I seem to recall some new information coming to light not that long ago?

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Michael, do you have an idea what car the cross hatched rims were listed for that you found that fit a Tiger's wheels?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The ones we got here (as fitted to that green tiger) were just generic aftermarket wheels trims and were made in Hong Kong. i cant remember what they were listed for (or if the pack had a listing)

I have seen them in the past listed for Triumph Vitese, Vauxhauls and other brit cars... one thing i will warn is that when we looked at the sets locally there were different types of fitment that had the cross hatch design.. some had deeper rims, some had flatter center sections so you need to look at whatever you buy closely. They dont have the round mounting slots as the originals.. they have a longer shallower cut out.. so you have to hold them in place when you put the caps on.. but once fitted you cant see that.