2013 Winton Festival of Speed

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A few pictures from Winton this weekend. It's 222kms from the Melbourne CBD.. so a bit of a drive.. weather despite being cloudy and cold in the morning cleared up to a nice sunny day (except the cold wind, but hey.. it's winter)

Disappointing numbers on many of the grids and turnout of spectators.. not sure what happened.. has been a good event in previous years.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
winton FOS

Hi Michael, thanks for the pictures, Winton looks like a very spectator-friendly track.
I noticed the 2 course workers looked relieved the Mustang didn't test the stoutness of their tire/concrete bunker.

Bob J.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Bob,

Yes the track is great from a spectators point of view, you can see pretty much 90% of it from most vantage points, and the twisty nature of it leads to lots of close racing.

They lengthened the track a few years back with 2 extra straights and a hairpin which in many ways has made the racing better. The short track favored handling and produced great racing, but the extension has made it a real battle circuit for both.. the powerful cars catch/pull away on the 2 extension straights and are then caught/passed in the twisty stuff. It's also quite a narrow track.

I will post a few more pics.. I sadly missed the May event on the short track.. but some of the videos on youtube allowed me to enjoy the fun.... this is a video of the sports car race from a MG midget.. watch it vs the DeTomaso (Ross Jackson and ex-tiger racer down under) one of the most enjoyable historic onboards i have watched.. worth the viewing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmoiYD7RMBo

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
race

Without that extra straight/180/straight piece they added the DeTomaso wouldn't have been able to hang in there for as long as he did.
That red 95 sprite/midget sure didn't give up.
He is basically forgotten for the middle third of the race and then he suddenly reappears to grab the lead and just got edged out there at the end.

Bob J.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

That was video from the May event on the short track.... the long track than ran this weekend gave the DeTomaso a better run.. when they post videos of that I will link them.. will post a few other pictures after i reszie.... i dont like the much smaller file upload size... i always did 1200x800 .. the new lower ones a bit of a PITA.. but stops people uploading HUGE images...

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great pics--looks like fun track with plenty of runoff for those unfortunate mistakes that sometimes occur.