GT40P Heads.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Anyone put these heads on there Tiger, 289 or larger windsors. I was wondering if the headers you can buy will fit these heads as there spark plugs are relocated to the earlier heads.
Thanks Mal.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do the header pipes for a Tiger come straight out and down from the heads on both sides. I have found a pic of one side. http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1965-sunbeam-tiger/updates/3/
I have also seen a pic of the GT40P a Mustang and as there tubes angle back there can be clearance issues with the plugs.
I think if the header tubes on a Tiger on both sides come straight out and down there should not be a problem.

It depends which headers you use, the ones from CAT, Sunbeam specialties, LAT and i have seen another mfg in the USA are all diffeent.. not sure whihc ones are supplied in the UK.. and as you are in NZ.. not sure which you are looking at using.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
The ones in the link are from sunbeam specialties and look like they may work. I have seen the LAT headers and they look similar. I may just have to buy a set and hope they fit or nearly fit. Having to build a set from scratch dosn't seem a lot of fun in a tigers engine bay. I will get the heads later this week. I should have a better idea then.
Thanks Mal

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Heads are here. I have taken a pic of the heads with the stock manifolds on. They clear the the plug postion but will strangle the flow. I am thinking the last port tube on a header may need to be altered.
P1010139-1.jpg

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mal,

If the heads are the gt40 heads as used on the roller motors.. i have the GT40 alloy heads on my 5.0 GT40 340hp ford racing crate motor, then the CAT headers and the sunbeam specialties headers will work for you.

I have thr CAT headers on my car.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Michael. The heads are GT40P heads not the GT40. The P stands for problem ( polite version ). I still think the sunbeam specialtie headers will work and others. May need a little modification on the last tube as it angles forward. The only way to know is to bite the bullet and buy some.

Thanks for the reply 67 tiger. I have found the same question asked on the net, but have never found a reply. I figuire if I buy headers for a Tiger the only problem with the fit will be the spark plug angle interferance with the header tube. Hopefuly easily altered.
Thanks Mal

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I have the engine together now. I spoke to a local header and muffler maker here in NZ. I thought I could make my own with some head flanges and bends. He can supply the flanges and said to save welding up lots of joins, I can tac weld some small washers over the flange ports and use 6mm steel rod and bend them to the shape I need and that gives them a pattern to bend each tube up in one piece. :cool:
I will post some pics.
Mal.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I new header fit was a problem because of the spark plug angle. I have read this on many Mustang forums but the port shape is larger and angled down on the bottom of the port as well. The few headers that are built for earlier heads that will fit the P heads will not flow well.
These flanges were cut out for the earlier heads and fit ports on the 289 heads properly.

A lot of grinding to do:(

001-1.jpg

First one done, 7 to go.

002-1.jpg

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
001-2.jpg

I think I will have the tubes in the cofines of the engine bay. If anyone can spot something I have overlooked, sing out.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Michael, i was told that small dia tubes promote tourqe and large tube, HP.
Tourqe wins races so i am hoping to sell the design to the V8 Super cars :D;)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael, i was told that small dia tubes promote tourqe and large tube, HP.
Tourqe wins races so i am hoping to sell the design to the V8 Super cars :D;)

Good point Mal.. also the nice thing with the way you are doign them, it would be cheap to do them in stainless rod and then have them ceramic coated :D .. all joking aside.. the path looks similar to the CAT ones..

are they following a different path on the other side?

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Finally got back to the headers. The bends could not be bent to the exact match to the patterns, but better than starting with a pile of U bends.

3306bfb1.jpg

The other side nearly done. I will need an exhaust donut to finish the tube behind the engine mount.
2f88598e.jpg

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Changing Spark Plugs

With these GT40P heads, how much interference do you have from the metal motor hangers when changing spark plugs, especially on #2 & #6? Do you need special tools or techniques?

thanks,

bt

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
5028842c.jpg

ATB

The plan is to use this plug socket and a spanner. If a spanner won't work then i will make a tool with a piece of flat, with stud that fits into the end of the socket.

Cheers Mal

steven

Gold forum user
when you are finished, keep a copy, I am accross in the big island and have alloy heads to fit to my 260. would be nice to have a set of suitable headers.