Correct method to remove & "unwire" generator voltage regulator

Orig65Tiger

Bronze forum user
I am working on my 1965 Tiger with its original generator and voltage regulator. I will install a one wire alternator with a built in voltage regulator. I want to completely remove the original voltage regulator.

After physically removing the voltage regulator, what wires do I "tape off" and which if any do I connect to each other or terminate elsewhere?

If relevant to the answer, I also plan to install a voltmeter at the same time.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you

tigerpb

Bronze forum user
Wire up a GM 1 wire Alt to Tiger

Here's the wiring diagrams I used to wire up a GM alt to my '66 Tiger. Note that the 1-wire alt has a separate terminal for a volt gauge. This worked for me, but be sure to double check any electrical work you do. Safety first!

IMAG0000.JPG

IMAG0000.JPG

Last edited:

Orig65Tiger

Bronze forum user
Great schematics--thank you.

One question on the voltmeter hookup: Does the green wire from #2 on the ignition switch really connect with the (-) terminal on the voltmeter? Seems like it should connect with the (+).

tigerpb

Bronze forum user
Follow the Voltmeter Manufacturer's Directions

Follow the Voltmeter Manufacturer's Directions when you install the gauge.
I used a no name gauge that I got at Autozone. It may have had an odd ball wiring set up.
I did the diagrams 15 years ago. I could have swapped the + for - when I drew the diagram.
BTW, I was told that a TR6 voltmeter fits the Tiger's dash board. Could be worth a look into.

tigerpb

Bronze forum user
I used a 3 wire SI series GM Alt.

I used a 3 wire SI series GM Alt. This uses 1 wire each for the Battery, ignition switch, and indicator light/voltmeter.
A true 1 wire would wire up differently.