Taillight Visibility?

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Years ago I remember seeing an article about converting the stop/turn light to a running taillight by changing the socket to dual element, increasing the rear visibility. While that would certainly help, today there have been some advancements in lighting. I recently changed the taillights on my street-rod to LEDs with great results. I know that there are LED bulbs available that just replace your old bulbs, but has anyone come up with an LED-array that fills the entire rear lens on a 'Beam? These entire lens filling arrays are available for certain classic cars like '57 Chebbys, I guess I won't hold my breath for our 'Beams though. We need more rear lighting than a single bulb per side if we want to protect against those "giggly-girls" in a large SUV.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tail light

brighter lights are not going to stop the giggly girls in their suv. i heard that when they are on the phone or doing a text that it's the responsibility of the vehicle in front of them to be their brakes. i know of one car that the owner cut a hole in the reflector area and installed a second tail light bulb.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
brighter lights are not going to stop the giggly girls in their suv. i heard that when they are on the phone or doing a text that it's the responsibility of the vehicle in front of them to be their brakes. i know of one car that the owner cut a hole in the reflector area and installed a second tail light bulb.

I hear you about drivers not paying attention, but the back of a 'Beam in any other than perfect driving conditions is not a big blip on the radar screen. Many years ago, I added a third brake light mounted on my roll bar of LEDs & while it helps, I still feel that two little 1157s on the back of our cars could use a bit more help.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Many years ago, I added a third brake light mounted on my roll bar of LEDs

I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my roll bar. I've been looking for an off the shelf item, either a replacement part requiring some minimal modification or an LED strip but haven't really found something I like.

I was also concerned about glare from the light on the rear glass of the hardtop. Figured I would just have to put in a switch to turn it off when the top was in place.

What did you use for the LEDs?

Thanks, Justin

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my roll bar. I've been looking for an off the shelf item, either a replacement part requiring some minimal modification or an LED strip but haven't really found something I like.

I was also concerned about glare from the light on the rear glass of the hardtop. Figured I would just have to put in a switch to turn it off when the top was in place.

What did you use for the LEDs?

Thanks, Justin

Justin, no problem with the glare as the LEDs are so focused & intense, forget the switch. I installed mine after seeing one at a Shelby meet in Atlanta in 1995! I never bought my first PC until 4 years later, so it was no internet-find. I simply bought this one from the old standby "J.C. Whitney". Today, you can find all kinds of options on the internet. I have a street-rod & there are all kinds of custom lighting available. Do it asap! Ironically, the Sanderson headers that are still on my Tiger, I bought from J.C. Whitney in 1974!