260/289 water pumps and timing chain covers

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I soon will be replacing my original, somewhat tired, 260 motor with a rebuilt 6 bolt 289. I have the correct bell housing and a rebuilt wide ratio toploader trans. to go with it

Can I switch the timing cover and (fairly new) aluminum water pump from the 260 over to the 289 as is? Any advantage/need to going to a 289 timing cover and matching cast iron water pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice/experience with this that anyone can share.

Gene

rab123

Bronze forum user
timing cover and water pump

Yes you can swap the 260 timing cover and 260 water pump over. Do not not mix and match 260 timing cover with newer water pump (with backing plate). I think you can put newer 289 timing cover, but the dip stick location may require modification, and a newer style (if you call 1966... newer) water pump, and a little press work. Easiest to use the original 260 timing cover and water pump.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
260/289 w/pump & cover

First, save the fan mounting flange from the old pump no matter what. It should have the original 1" boss that fits in the 1" fan hole. It can be pressed (by someone who knows what they are doing) onto the newer iron pump or needed for the older style replacement. These are darned rare, so keep it or mail it to me and I'll find a home for it. Either method of motor nosing will work, but the dip stick location can be a minor stumble with the later model schnozz.