Flushing stale gasoline

Orig65Tiger

Bronze forum user
My Tiger has been started occasionally and let run in the garage but has not driven on the street for about six years. The bad news is that is also the approximate age of the three or so gallons of gas that are in the car.

In anticipation of driving the car again, I want to get rid of as much of the stale gas and its after effects as possible without pulling and cleaning the tanks. The car starts just fine but the gas is not a clear color like it should be. To me, that's an indication of varnish.

I plan to pump the gas into containers by running the fuel pump. That gas goes to hazardous waste mgt. I will replace my two in-line fuel filers. I have just finished a rebuild of my Holley.

Is there anything else I should do before I add a few gallons of fresh gas and start up the engine?

(I have also learned the value of keeping the tank full, using a fuel stabilizer. and never letting a car go non-op.)

Thank you for any advice--Jim

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Just a few side-bar thoughts on my part.

I would keep an extra set of fuel filters handy in the car just in case the OEM painted coatings inside the tanks have dried out and started to flake off. That could clog the filters and leave you stranded with a clogged fuel line somewhere inconvenient.

Also, you might want to consider putting in fresh oil and a new oil filter, running some Gunk Motor Flush (or similar product) through the oil system and then changing the oil and filter again. A car that sits for any extended time gets moisture in the crankcase. Oil and water when heated makes varnish. This is especially true if the car sits for an extended time, accumulates a lot of moisture and is only started and run for a short period of time. You might be surprised by what the flushed oil looks like.

Just my two cents.

Cheers, Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
another issue is that the fuel if sitting in the carbs, it can go into a sticky gel and stick in the jets and on the floats.. had this happen with some webers on my alpine.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
stale gas ?

Just remember not to clutter the fun part with too much minutia. You should be able to look in the rear view mirror and see two smoking black lines:cool: and a distant set of flashing blue lights. enjoy, r