head questions

bill jurkowski

New forum user
Hi
I have a few questions that I open for discussion. I have a street-driven tiger with a tired 260.

1) Anyone have any experience with the Edelbrock E-street heads? They look perfect for an upcoming rebuild. bigger valves and less weight and economical.
Do you think the CAT heaters will fit OK?

2) Do I have to pull the engine to get a camshaft out and back in? It almost looks like I could get it out with the grill and radiator removed. Knowing how painful it is to pull the engine/trans I am investigating an easier way out.

thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tired FSB

First, pull the motor; you'll be cursing the job anyway, but this makes it easier all the way around. We drop them out the bottom because it's easier for us, but with a bit of careful plotting, the top method works as well. Impatience can be a nasty enemy. My personal experience with a variety of Vic's heads is that many versions have the exhaust ports cast 1/2" higher up than the stock Ford which messes with the standard down pipe clearances. Headers may cure that situation?? I have a set of performance heads under bench that never got used because the Customer didn't want headers. Who knew?

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Check out Edelbrocks web site. I think they are in the stock location, so the headers should fit. Edelbrock do this with a lot of there heads so you don't need to build custom headers. If you don't run headers, stock exhaust manifolds will choke that engine.