Powered By Ford emblems

markf

Bronze forum user
I have seen several different emblems on Tigers and I was wondering which ones were on which years and how many different styles there were. I know theres 260 and 289 depending on the engine but Im more concerened about what they say at the top. (I also know the 302 ones aren't original:) )

heres one of the particular emblems in question:

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
You can see another one in the little signature picture on my posts.

Steve

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
In the States the B947xxxx series and early B382xxxx series had the "POWERED BY FORD" 260 emblems. I think remember reading that about the same time the Chrysler star started being put on the emblem changed to "SUNBEAM" V8 which was carried on to the Tiger II.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There were several itterations of the sheilds:

"POWERED BY FORD 260" = MKI cars
"SUNBEAM 260" = later UK MKI & apparently might be early corss over body MKI's and early IA's
"ALPINE 260" = EU spec cars
"SUNBEAM V8" = MKIA and MKII

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mark,

They were cars delivered to Europe, same mechanical spec ect as HRO and USA cars.. but would be badged "alpine 260" as the tiger name was under liscence in those countires.

Some of these cars worked their way to the USA with returning servicemen when they brought them back from germany, france etc..

As a side note the french cars also have different spec plates.

markf

Bronze forum user
Well this is all very interesting. Mine must have found the wrong emblems somewhere during the past 45 years because I checked the chassis number and it is an American LRXFE. Thanks guys for all the information.