Rapid seal demise ?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lately, I've noted some rapid seals degradations in the servos, master brake & clutch units, etc. Been rebuilding these things for years, but the fluids are turning darker very quickly now and the seals are showing definite early aging signs. Not being a chemist, I'm curious (as our customers surely are) if something has changed in the compound's recepies. Any knowledge out there waiting to be shared?

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Sorry to be answering a question with a question here. Could it be anything to do with a particular brand or type of brake fluid?
I just rebuilt my clutch slave cylinder after having used silicone fluid for many years. The rubber was turning to mush. Using Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 and 4 now for everything.

Cheers, Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sick seals

Thx for the nod , Gene: Some years back, I noticed customers' servos being returned with flubber seals in them. The common factor was using certain synthetics, so I always caution that some (not all) can create a kind of nasty chemistry. But, the current problem is something different. I always assemble with and use Castrol LMA, and never had a problem til now. The seals I'm seeing now appear to be actually molting and shedding skin ?? It was recently bad enough in one unit to jam the control valve. I'm begining to wonder if the bean counters are sneakin' in some cheaper compounds. . . keepin' em' runnin', randy