Tiger engine block question

Cal44

Gold forum user
Is there somewhere I can find out about original engine blocks in the Tigers?
I do not have a copy of Norms book, sadly. And since I don't want to mortgage my home to buy one I got nothin' for information.

I tried Mustangtek but that is little help. What have I missed?

Cal44

Gold forum user
Since I was bored, I went over to a fellows house advertising a 260 3 freeze plug block. Date 3M3, C4OE-6015-C. It is a five bolt. I understand the bore numbers but I don't have proper tooling to measure the bore.

Since the numbers 289 are not cast into the valley (don't know when that started) its difficult to say which it is. 260 or 289.

I was thinking a three freeze plug five bolt may be interesting to have. Also I'm not sure how long these were produced.

Geez I hope this made sense.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Ford Engine Bible

HP Books How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines (Tom Monroe) is a great reference for how to interpret casting numbers and the codes used. C40E-B could be a 64 260 or 64-67 HP289? Pg 89. This book is a reference for Ford engines in Ford cars (there is also a picture of a 289 Cobra)and it ignores the continued manufacture of 260's for customers like Rootes and industrial applications.

The short answer on ? a 260 or 289 is measure the bore. Because the difference is 2/10" (3.80 vs 4.00) laying a ruler over the bore should be accurate enough, ie less than a full 4" is a 260 bore.

Rick

Cal44

Gold forum user
Took it to the machine shop. Four inch bore and needs one sleeve. So in summery, I'm a happy boy. Five bolt 289. Crank was shot with deep scoring on one of the journals. Fifty five to have it boiled out. Will oil and pickle in a bag until needed.

rab123

Bronze forum user
5 bolt 289

Since it is a 5 bolt 289, why not do a 302 crank and rods, very plentiful (if you are in LA area I would give crank and rods from motors I have bought for other parts.

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
If you have thick main caps you have a Hi-Po block. Standard caps are narrow between the bolts.
Rick