Tiger CAD files

agarton

Bronze forum user
I am looking for any CAD files that might be around for the Tiger. I am interested in making a Solidworks 3D model of the Tiger, and would like to see what is out there before I redue what has already been done. I'm looking into getting or making a 3D digitizer so I can capture the car in CAD as well. The 3D digitizers are pretty expensive, so it may be a while before I get to that, but I have had pretty good luck converting Autocad DXF files into 3D.

Thanks.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Good question. I've wondered the same thing a few times. I see the CAD files have been removed on the link I provided.

On a totally unrelated item and not worth starting a thread for but has anyone ever run across a very simple arcade like game featuring a Tiger / Alpine? I ran across one sometime ago but can't find again.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are some tiger and alpine 3ds models online:

sunbeam_tiger_3d_model_3ds_obj_max_3732eb1d-2ae1-4102-8b37-49f56c436285.jpg

large_sunbeam_tiger_3d_model_3ds_obj_max_dee496a2-5b96-4d8a-818c-41ae48eb82a3.jpg

post-90875-0-35108600-1312135232.jpg

alpine:
large_sunbeam_alpine_series_1_3d_model_3ds_obj_max_f2623a2a-a1db-429e-9a0a-d2d61408bb0e.jpg

large_sunbeam_alpine_series_1_3d_model_3ds_obj_max_3ce50a21-090a-43aa-a237-38c86e2912b8.jpg

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I like those--now we need someone to build a die cast large enough to actually see (haha) and sell them cheap. :)

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
There are some tiger and alpine 3ds models online:

Wow! That is definitely a "is it live or Memorex" moment. Beautiful detail. Thanks for posting that.

I wonder what a 3D printer could put out. Do they use photos, CAD files or combo?

The arcade like game I mentioned previous was actually a PC off-road game if it wasn't clear. The car rolled up and down little hills and collected rewards along the course. Could positively tell make of car. I think it was supposed to be an Alpine.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Justin,

Thats a 3d studio model.. you can buy it.. the colours and materials are just rendered in 3dS Max. The proportions are a little out in the models... but overall not bad as this would have been build from photos and the 2d linework drawings from the original road tests.

I have a makebot 2 3d printer at work.. maybe i should print one out

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
a few variations on the theme.. these arethe drawings its based off.. and also the mesh file

ALPINE_series41.jpg4578146c-6637-4f78-ba06-a2e780e6916fLarge.jpg

large_sunbeam_alpine_series_1_3d_model_3ds_obj_max_18e58f84-b169-47ad-b3da-99cf34f44808.jpg

sunbeam-alpine-mki-1960.png

large_sunbeam_tiger_3d_model_3ds_obj_max_0028d19a-62a4-4dc1-9f0b-dffd9508339e.jpg

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Michael--those are great---you should make some and give them out as Christmas gifts to the members..... :)

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I have a makebot 2 3d printer at work.. maybe i should print one out

I think that would be a fun project to try.

I worked at a place where I had access to a laser that could cut acrylic sheet material. I was tempted to try but there was a lot of work involved. After parts were cut out they had to be cleaned before being able to glue together, keeping them in order, alignment, sculpting down the contours to a smooth continuous body line and then the thing had to be finished so it wasn't just a chunk of sanded plastic resembling a car. I was also more concerned about wear / damage to the machine I couldn't afford to fix or compensate for if there was some real profit making project that came along if the machine was down.

The 3D printer eliminates a lot of the labor if you can get around wear and tear issues I'd go for it.

The term "model" was confusing at first. Wasn't aware that 3Ds Max was an AutoDesk product. I've been using AutoCAD for over 25 years and have done some crude 3D "models" using it but it can't do anything like the pics you've provided. Very, very nice work by whoever did them.