More Newbie questions about paint,tires etc.

Sgreg

Silver forum user
I have a 66 Tiger Mk1A. Is there a correct paint available to repaint or repair midnight blue code 58 ? Was the original acryllic enamel ? Does anyone know who made the original paint and its stock number ? I have correct offset 15 inch wheels on order for my Mk 1A. I am told they will allow a wider tire (?) The fronts are 6 inches wide and the rears are 7 inches wide. Without cutting or trimming any metal front or back, what size tire would work with my 15 x6 and 15 x7 inch front and back wheels assuming the offet/backspace is precise ? I know these questions have been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find the suggestions. The wheels are Minilites (I know, mundane, but they work well) Thanks for any help you may provide.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a 66 Tiger Mk1A. Is there a correct paint available to repaint or repair midnight blue code 58 ? Was the original acryllic enamel ? Does anyone know who made the original paint and its stock number ? I have correct offset 15 inch wheels on order for my Mk 1A. I am told they will allow a wider tire (?) The fronts are 6 inches wide and the rears are 7 inches wide. Without cutting or trimming any metal front or back, what size tire would work with my 15 x6 and 15 x7 inch front and back wheels assuming the offet/backspace is precise ? I know these questions have been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find the suggestions. The wheels are Minilites (I know, mundane, but they work well) Thanks for any help you may provide.

Tyres that should work are 195/50's on the front maybe 205's rears 205 no issues.

Paint codes are available, quite a few people have matched to PPG and other numbers, I will dig them up for you. What i would do is contact Jam Servaties from the SAOCA board (jumpinjan user ID) he sells CD's with matched paint on them so the shop you go to has a sample to match from.

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Thanks, Michael. Does anyone have the paint part # for midnight blue # 58? Anyone have 15 x6 fronts and 15 x 7 rear wheels ? If so what is the largest size tires that will clear without cutting the inner wells or fenders ?

Cal44

Gold forum user
My favorite tire for older sporting cars is Vredestein Sprint Classics. Use them on my 356 and they are great tires. And, they look the part of vintage tires without paying huge money. By the by, when you start putting large wheels on small things.......it's not always good. Just an opinion.

Sgreg

Silver forum user
My favorite tire for older sporting cars is Vredestein Sprint Classics. Use them on my 356 and they are great tires. And, they look the part of vintage tires without paying huge money. By the by, when you start putting large wheels on small things.......it's not always good. Just an opinion.

I have been a little concerned about over-sizing the wheels. The key thing seems to be fit. If the offset and tires are right, 14 and 15 inch wheels can look good. That's a big "if".

Cal44

Gold forum user
What I should have stated was wheel width, ooops. I think the 14" or 15" is fine.
My reasoning is the amount of rubber required on a wide wheel in respect to a little car (to have it look right) might just cause the car not to handle nicely. Like when hitting a bump, the car will dart, to much rubber sometimes, or alignment.
Another thing is suspension design. Was it designed to use that much tire and wheel.
I prefer a little throttle steer.

Certainly I am no expert........but I play one on the internet.

Mike

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I finally dug this up:

Code #58 Midnight Blue
Ditzler # 12633
DuLux enamel 97365
Chrysler # 75242838
Berger code 404.1710
ICI 2983