Rust removal bath for small parts ?

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
I'm sure there must be something good for an overnight soak of lttle bits that will remove any paint/corrosian/rust. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Steve

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You can buy phosphoric acid (metal conditioner) at Lowes and autobody supply shops. Even better if you have a Tractor Supply Store near you buy a gallon of Dairyland Milkstone Remover & Acid Rinse. It is a phosphoric acid and detergent and it is only about $12.00/gallon. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34589_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1
I have used this to remove rust from parts as well as to etch gas tanks before applying gas tank sealers and it works great! Eric

tonythetiger

Bronze forum user
Eric- the stuff from Tractor Supply--- I started sanding a fender to bare metal months ago and now there's surface rust- I know I need to resand it but Im lazy and would rather remove it some easier way. Will the TS stuff work to remove the surface rust- then neturalize it with water??? or a baking soda/water mix?? dry well and then spray with a can of primer to stop it from happeneing again. the car appears to have but one small rust spot but I would like to take it to the metal so I know if there is any repairs etc etc.Some paint and some primer on all of car. I really want to know for sure if repairs where made before I bought the car.
Your knowledge is appreciated.
TtT

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Tony-yes it will do a great job removing surface rust like that. Maybe a light water rinse (there will be a coating leftover after using the phosphoric acid), let dry and spray with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and it will last a long time. Eric

BillG

CAT Parts Manager
CAT Member
Rust removal

Not sure what kind of parts, but you might think about naval jelly or WD-40. Don't think either will remove paint, but will clean up surface rust -- with some "scrubbing".

Bill

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Screws, nuts, bolts, springs, hose clamps etc. Things that aren't ideal for sand blasting and too small or delicate for wire brush. I thought about WD40 but am also unsure about paint removal capability and the only WD40 I see is aerosol rather than pour into a conmtainer packaging.

Steve

Cal44

Gold forum user
I am responding a bit late to this post but here goes. I sold Por-15 Products for ten years and have used some of the paints and rust removers on my cars to include Boss 302, two '70 Corvettes, and Porsches.

Metal Ready, a Por-15 product will do a fine job on rusty bits. I let them set overnight in the juice and put on rubber gloves and get to scrubbing with the small brass brushes I buy from Harbor Freight (my favorite store for cheap stuff). They (Harbor Freight) also carry a rust remover that is very safe and it works o.k but I stay with Metal Ready. For all I know the other acids work well but this is what I am used to. A bench grinder with a mild brush is just wonderful for small items even with threads. I put on my goggles (safety first) and hold the item with a pair of angled pliers just barley touching the item to the moving brush. Works everytime. Currently doing a '63 356. Amazing how much room there is in a 356.......amazing

If anyone wants to know about the Por-15 paint (one part urethane) I will be happy to write on the subject. Keep in mind I haven't sold that line for five years but not much has changed. I now am required to pay retail.....damn
Also while I am aimlessly writing, another fine product line is the Kriol Company. In my unbiased opinion they make the finest penetrating oil on the market.

Por-15 products are not cheap.....but I only like doing the project once so I pay.