Buying the cow to get the milk ?

Sgreg

Silver forum user
I am having a ball with my 66/67 MK1A Tiger. As a newbie, I am learning a lot and have met some very helpful people. I wouldn't call this a rant but.... Doesn't anyone sell a faux burl walnut top tape to mend a small area of the dash ? I have few areas to fix on my Tiger; but I have lost a bit of the thin burl over the glove box. I refuse to buy the cow ( in this case a new dash ranging between $250-600 ). Not only that, the thought of removing all that Lucas wiring and all the gauges to mount a piece of wood covered with this faux burl B](the milk ) makes my stomach turn over. Nobody out there selling a square foot of burl applique ??? All vendors of dashes, please forgive me. But really now.

On a totally different matter, I would very much like to purchase a nice diecast model of a Tiger as my eyesight is just not good enough to see those 1/64 and 1/43 models that are selling in the $100 plus category. How about a nice 1/18 or 1/24 model under $100 ??? This is a rare and significant car which deserves a "bigger" tribute if you know what I mean. I bet I know a couple of thousand possible buyers. Where are the capitalists when you need them !!! Thanks, for sharing your time to read my wandering thoughts.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure about the tape.. maybe try the moss motors Uk site, eurospares or places liek that.

As for larger Sunbeam models.. dont think ive ever seen one of an alpine or tiger.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Depending on where you live, try going to a furniture restoration shop. See what they offer in opinions. A lot of older furniture has the thin skin. I'm not certain when that all started but a good shop will be able to give some pointers, maybe.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Google wood veneer or check out Rockler (NA) woodworking or something similar.

You might also be able to fill in the spots with wood filler and paint a symmetrical area a satin black.

Justin

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
CAT sells a nice 1/25 scale Sunbeam Tiger plastic model-you can paint it any color you like. As far as larger diecast Sunbeam Tigers or Alpines I have never found anything larger than 1/43 scale in 30 years of looking......Eric