American Racing wheels

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anybody out there have more information regarding below 13" alloy wheels ? The only thing I know is that they were produced by american racing but not sure in which period.
Furthermore a copy of any written documentation (dimensions, specs, etc.) would be very helpful to get them recorded via our dreaded TUV over here in Germany...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bernard,

What info do you need? they were available for the tiger in 13 x 5.5" and up to 7". There is a company in the USA now reproing these wheets i think they are called VTO.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
American Libre

Here is a link to a manufacturer of replica American "Mags" including the four spoke American Libre. The website indicates a 14 x 5.5 but the American wheels I once owned were 13 x 5.5 (or 6?) and 13 x 7. Not LAT but a nice looking and period correct wheel for a Sunbeam.

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/inventory.php?cat=1

Happy New Year
Rick

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK " American Libre" and period correctness is noted. Thanks for the repro link. Believe they must be either 13 x 6 or 7". Love those wheels but still need any written documentation such as a spec sheet describing size, weight limits , material, etc. Perhaps such a sheet came together with the purchase in those days...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bernd,

Get in touch with steve silverstein at racingalpine.org, he is likely to have the specs on these and I know he has photos in period of alpines and tigers running on them in the SCCA.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good hint thanks & will try. Met Steve once at the CAT Mtg 2008 @ Big bear. Hope he can remember me...

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I was running the 13x5.5 American Racing Libre wheels with B60/13 (205/60/13) tires in the early 70's. Very bullet proof wheel with the correct offset for Tigers. No rubbing or cutting required...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yep believe because of the inwards widening characteristics it´s the almost perfect wheel for the Tiger. As you say no cuttting nor flaring of the fenders is required. From my perspective one of the best choices next to LAT´s if one can live w STD brakes. We are not braking but driving isn´t it :D?

Cal44

Gold forum user
Are the prices of the four spoke wheels a mystery? Pony up........how much are these and where are they made?

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bought the set of 4 used ones for 500 bucks from a guy in Texas @ 2008 Big Bear CAT Meeting. The reason why I wanted to have them is because they were on my actual car (imported from New York) before. However the "in between" german owner decided to keep those for his own Tiger MkII project.

Wanted to get matching replacements since I´m always keen of period items...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK, I was correct VTO are reproing these:

http://vtowheels.webplus.net/

They are called the "retro 4" and come in 13x 5.5 , 14x5.5 and 15x6 and 7 inch sizes.

wpbf19104b_05.jpg

wpb548df2a_05.jpg

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Not sure what regulatory registration information you need, but I know some wheels have diameter, rim width and maybe some other stuff stamped into the inside of the wheel hub. Maybe that is the information you need? If there is info stamped there, maybe some others on the forum more knowledgable than me can decode it for you. Or if you can find a way to contact the company maybe they can help. They are still in business...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ash,

Dont know if anyone has used them on a sunbeam, but they offer the correct PCD and offset on the site
interestingly they sell them in sets on ebay.. they charge 450USD for a set for a triumph or mg.. get they had other sizes listed at 650.. so tell them you own a hillman minx before you buy a set! :p

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
We seem to be drifting off topic a bit here from the original post looking for help with parameters needed to register a set of original American Racing Libre wheels in Germany.

That said and for whatever it may be worth, I have a thought to share that may or may not be relevent about these reproduced wheels from VTO.

I bought a set of the Superlite wheels from them when they were importing them from Australia. Those wheels were drilled for studs larger than our 7/16 studs. (I think they were drilled for 5/8 studs). They fit on the Tiger because they sold lug nuts that fit on a 7/16 stud and essentially take up the slack in the larger stud holes. A bit of a pain when changing a tire, since the Tiger centers its wheels on the studs, not a central hub ring. A lot of manhandling, shuffling to get one nut centered and then get the rest started properly. ( I eventually made up a temporary shim to slide over a stud to hold the wheel essentially centered on that one. Then I could more easily get the nut started and centered on the opposite stud, and install the rest.)

Anyway, were it me, I would want to know if VTO is using the same approach to the stud holes on the wheels they are now producing on their own if I were going to buy a set. Just to avoid any surprise if this is something you would not want.

AshUK

Silver forum user
Ash,

Dont know if anyone has used them on a sunbeam, but they offer the correct PCD and offset on the site
interestingly they sell them in sets on ebay.. they charge 450USD for a set for a triumph or mg.. get they had other sizes listed at 650.. so tell them you own a hillman minx before you buy a set! :p

Thanks for that Mike. Hilman Minx it is then!:D

AshUK

Silver forum user
We seem to be drifting off topic a bit here from the original post looking for help with parameters needed to register a set of original American Racing Libre wheels in Germany.

That said and for whatever it may be worth, I have a thought to share that may or may not be relevent about these reproduced wheels from VTO.

I bought a set of the Superlite wheels from them when they were importing them from Australia. Those wheels were drilled for studs larger than our 7/16 studs. (I think they were drilled for 5/8 studs). They fit on the Tiger because they sold lug nuts that fit on a 7/16 stud and essentially take up the slack in the larger stud holes. A bit of a pain when changing a tire, since the Tiger centers its wheels on the studs, not a central hub ring. A lot of manhandling, shuffling to get one nut centered and then get the rest started properly. ( I eventually made up a temporary shim to slide over a stud to hold the wheel essentially centered on that one. Then I could more easily get the nut started and centered on the opposite stud, and install the rest.)

Anyway, were it me, I would want to know if VTO is using the same approach to the stud holes on the wheels they are now producing on their own if I were going to buy a set. Just to avoid any surprise if this is something you would not want.

Thanks for that sound advice. I know you could get shouldered lug nuts at one time to sort the problem but not sure if still availible? Tiger wheels are a constant source of frustration to me as not many styles are produced for them. How many more "minilite" style wheels do we need? Bring back more A.R.E and Cragar styles!!:)