VIN plate question

davester

Bronze forum user
Hi all, new guy here. Owned a nice original 65 blue MK1 Tiger about 25 years ago (was a member of CAT at that time) and sold it. Now looking for another one. Have one in my sights in Ohio. It is a 1967 MkII that looks pretty nice and original from the photos and description however the VIN plate was lost during a repaint some years ago. The Highway Patrol in that state issued and attached a new VIN tag (with the VIN number of B382100516 on the new plate that was attached by HWP during inspection). Is this a car to stay away from? I do want an authentic Tiger that will have no resale questions down the road if I decide to sell it in 20 years!). This is a great site and I am looking forward to visiting it regularly after I land another Tiger! In the meantime, if anyone has a Tiger for sale in the Midwest, give me a holler. Any opinions appreciated.

Dave Gilmore
Leawood, Ks.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well welcome back to the fold,

As to the issue of a missing VIN.. if you have the ability to get the car TAC inspected then you can A. Get the car certified as a real Tiger or not, B. I believe the TAC people are able to re-issue or have in some occasions missing VIN's if there is enough evidence of what the car was befoer the TAG was lost.

Being a MKII makes it a little easier, if you contact someone like norman miller or a head TAC inspector they can probably tell you if the car is real or not from photos as the MKII have several differences to a MKI/MKIA that if the owner went to the trouble to replicate then they would have done a VIN too.. so if those are on the money chances are you are doing ok. I'm refering to the rear shelf where the fuel pump trap door would be in a normal Tiger or battery box in an alpine would be, and the boot floor on a MKII.

go to www.rootes1.com

best of luck with the purchase!