roll bars

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Anyone have any experience with the Autopower racing roll bar with removable cross brace for their Tiger? It apparently will still allow for the top to be put up without interference. True? Any other SCCA compliant bars worth considering? Thanks, Gene

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have an Autopower 'race' bar on my car. Both tops fit fine but there's not much room to spare. Some P.O chopped off the flat piece that is welded to the removable brace that goes over to the left upright . I assume that you could attach a harness to it. Even though it's called a 'race' bar, I would be surprised if it was SCCA legal as I thought their regs would demand a bar that was somewhat taller. I don't know that for a fact... just surmising...

BTW, last time I looked at an Autopower catalog, both the 'street' and 'race' bars were still listed...

edit: I found a pic I took of someone's car at TUXXXII that had that piece that mine's missing and shows at least some of the bar...

Jim
B382000446

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Jim, exactly what I was hoping someone could provide! I am still waiting for the 2011 Solo rules to be published. In 2010, some Solo classes that required a roll bar permitted one that will still fit under a factory hard top or convertible top. Other classes require the top of the bar be at least as high as the top of the driver's helmet with at least another 3 inches more recommended. At least as I read it.

Thanks again for being a great resource to the rest of us! Gene

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
There's one of what looks to be an Autopower 'race' bar on e-bay right now... in Pasadena... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-Roll-Bar-Sunbeam-Tiger-Alpine-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSunbeamQ7cModelQ3aTigerQQhashZitem3a629d403bQQitemZ250762575931QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Jim
B382000446

edit: On second thought, that bar has a welded angle brace vs the Autopower's bolt-in... also he lists a different part # ... Hmmmmm...... not sure exactly what manufacture then...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Jim, many thanks for the "heads-up" on this one.

I think it is an Autopower race bar and the seller got the part number wrong. The removable cross brace is an extra cost option to the welded in version.

I am still seriously considering getting the removable brace version. About 25 years ago I put lap belts in the back for my kids. I now have grandsons that are constantly asking me for rides in the "zoom zoom" car (weather permitting...). I need to keep that use in mind as I dabble with my autocrossing and related upgrades!

Cheers, Gene