Mecum auction Monterey

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Did anyone else see the auction results from Mecum in Monterey? A modified 1A sold for over $150,000? It was mentioned in Classic Motorsports magazine, and I also saw it on the internet. Anyone have any insight?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If this is the MKIA that was done up like a road version of the hollywood sports car Tiger then the sale was a couple of months back (august IIRC).

The car was much hyped and was sold during the monterey historic racing/concourse weekend. The description was a little misleading as it implied that the car was a sort of rare prototype whereas it was a just a "resto-mod"

CA0810-96532_1.jpg

here is the link:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0810-96532&entryRow=95

description:
"Modeled after the famous racing Tiger built and raced by Hollywood Sports Car legends Doane Spencer and Jim Adams, the 1966 Sunbeam Tiger presented here is one of the rarest of its kind, certified by the Sunbeam Tiger Association as a Rootes Engineering MK1A Tiger. After massaging the body and fabricating an aluminum deck panel, trunklid, and fender flares, builder David Ley added a Thunderbird hood scoop and a custom wraparound Lexan windshield. A Ford Racing GT40 crate engine with custom fabricated exhaust, the original Toploader and a narrowed Dana 44 give the car lightning performance, while the crisply finished cockpit offers up Stewart Warner gauges in an engine-turned dash, leather repro Cobra seats, aluminum door panels and a chromed roll bar. Custom-offset Halibrand style wheels are the perfect period-correct finishing touch on this retro Shelby hybrid, which has won numerous Concours events and been featured in Hot Rod, Sports Car, Cobra and Motor Trend magazines. In addition, it was featured in the Carroll Shelby Tribute at Riverside Raceway Museum in March 2010, where it was signed by Lou Spencer and Carroll Shelby."

HIGHLIGHTS

- This is one of the rarest Sunbeam Tigers certified by Sunbeam Tiger Association as a Rootes Engineering MK1A Tiger
- GT-40 400 HP all aluminum engine, rear trunk, hand built
- Modeled after The Hollywood Sports Cars Tiger originally built by Doane Spencer and raced by Jim Adams
- This car has won many Concours shows across the country
- Featured at the Riverside Raceway Museum in March 2010, Carroll Shelby talked for 45 minutes about the Sunbeam and how it was his most valued car; Carroll Shelby and Lou Spencer signed the car at this show and is fully documented
- Featured in Cobra magazine, Hot Rod, Sports Car and Motor Trend

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's the car. I remember it from Hot Rod Magazine. It went for about $163,000 after commission. Must have been immaculate.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I just read the article on this car, very nicely done but that was a lot of money for a street car. I could see if it had race history but from what I understand it was a "clone" of the Hollywood Tiger.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure how a thread this old has popped up again.. and duke you link is being blocked. Cobrakidz, the car was a tribute or homage to the HSC car.. clone would imply that it is trying to replicate it.. this was more done "in the spirit of" to have some comon hotrodding details and appearence, and had its own custom 60's racer inspired interior.. as said.. very nice car.. but a resto-mod.