Gear shift knob

Cal44

Gold forum user
O.K, before I ruin the original shift knob that has been on this car for forty 46 years, how does it come off? I would have thought one would simply unscrew the darn thing as I don't see a locking nut.

Is there a trick? I am trying to install the new shift boot.

Car in question is a '65.

I tried unscrewing it but I must be a Nancy Boy as the thing isn't moving.

Thanks again,
Mike

rab123

Bronze forum user
I have not removed ming, but I recall 2 small holes. one on each side, spanner style, that act like a jamb or lock nut I believe. There are spanner type tools, or some creative efforts along with a penatrating lubricate should get things moving.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Tiger shift know has 2 parts, the black bakerlite/plastic knob with the shift pattern and a jambing/finishing chrome part bellow.

That chrome part has the 2 small holes that can be used to shift it (rotate). you need to un-screw the chrome part loose and the top part will then unscrew easily. Its probably being so stiff as it hasnt been undone in a long time, normally you can just unscrew the black part.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Unscrewing the impossibles

There is a small (and larger) rubber strap plumbers wrench device found in most hardware stores that will grip the little devil with much leverage without damage. Wish I had invented the darned thing and kicked back with the royalties. r

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a small (and larger) rubber strap plumbers wrench device found in most hardware stores that will grip the little devil with much leverage without damage. Wish I had invented the darned thing and kicked back with the royalties. r

randy,

is that like a minature version of the ones to pull oil filters?

ps.. im still wishing invented bubble wrap.. :rolleyes:

Cal44

Gold forum user
So, if I understand this correctly. The chrome item under the shift knob has threads and is turned until it reaches the knob which locks the knob in on the shifter........right?

That little spanner wrench would sure come in handy. Then getting the T reverse lift, off, is yet another story. All this to replace the stupid boot.

Up date. I have thrown in the towel. Me thinks the last guy must have used Loctite. I will go to a leather boot the stitches up. Damn.............

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
them stubborn knobs !!

If you can live without the toy for a few, send the whole shifter w/boot and I'll make it all better for ya. randy
PS: And yes, the strap is somewhat like the rubber filter wrench.

trackrodend

New forum user
Cal44, I am afraid that you are tackling this from the wrong end of the shifter.

Undo the 4 screws holding the chrome ring.
Preferably have a helper lift up the rubber boot and hold it out of the way whilst you undo the 2 shifter bolts.
Before you attempt this, have a look at the pictures below so that you know what to expect.

Toploader Heaven:

http://www.toploaderheaven.com/shifter_parts/Handle_Kit[1].jpg

Dennis Carpenter:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...S34H0KRQ0691851611750B~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000024S#

As you remove the shifter it is possible that the shifter cups and springs will fall out and never been seen again. If you are lucky they will either fall on the floor or you can retrieve them with a magnet.
If you are unlucky, then you can source replacements from one of the above or similar suppliers.

Now you can fit the new shifter boot.

Good luck.

Cal44

Gold forum user
I had the shifter off. The bottom of the shifter is too large for the boot to go over as it has a "T" section and the base is a large square. Keep in mind the rubber boot has no give.

Well I know the boot will never worry about stretch marks, it won't stretch.

I did go to the store and buy the rubber wrench thing. Didn't work.

At least I now have a rubber wrench thing.

Oneoffive............let me think on it. It is very kind of you to offer.

Mike

trackrodend

New forum user
Cal44, my apologies.
With the passage of time I had totally confused two separate jobs.
The boot does need to come off at the top of the shifter. If you can find some circlip pliers with right-angled ends and sharp points you may be able to unscrew that chrome bit.