Fuel Cell

Cal44

Gold forum user
Anyone running a fuel cell on the street? If so can you direct me to the/a company that makes them for Tigers?. How much and does it have a sending unit. I don't care if you have to fill it by lifting the trunk lid. Weighing my options.......tanks in fenders?.......is that a good thing?

Thanks in advance

Mike

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Anyone running a fuel cell on the street? If so can you direct me to the/a company that makes them for Tigers?. How much and does it have a sending unit. I don't care if you have to fill it by lifting the trunk lid. Weighing my options.......tanks in fenders?.......is that a good thing?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Nike they are not made for the tiger. dont knwo anyone who does.. but the general way is to buy one and mount it in the boot or thruogh the boot floor.

My tiger has option 02.. though the original floor was removed (didnt cut a hole i n it) and a new one made with the tank mounted 1/2 though. Its an ATL fuel cell amd comp arroved. The down sides.. no spare tyre, the nozel sticks up so cant use the false floor (unless you cut a hole in it) Also if you use a large tank you must relocate the battery.

for pics see:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fuel Cells etc

I agree with the 1/2 thru the floor set-up. Works great. As to relocation of the battery, I have a wreck in the yard with an inovative solution. The previous owner raised the rear parcel shelf 3" to accommodate some electronics and also included a higher battery bucket in the original location. Very nice modification, and more than clears the exhaust system.
And yes, the fender tanks were part of the demise of safety approvals for the Tiger along with the fabric "shielding" between raw gas and the passenger area.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Michael, nice work and tastefully done. Not a lot of room to re-route items on these cars. Cutting the floor is not one of my options but this does give me some ideas.

Battery on the rear shelf...........interesting.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael, nice work and tastefully done. Not a lot of room to re-route items on these cars. Cutting the floor is not one of my options but this does give me some ideas.

Battery on the rear shelf...........interesting.

Mike,

The original floor was drilled out and is sittig in the garage, the new one is a fabricated item with strengthening around the fuel cell. The battery sitis on a tray in the wing were the tank was.

A caution.. i have low Dales springs, and that cell sitting as low as it does makes it hard to get a trolley jack under there, i have to drive the car onto planks to get under it.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
stock tanks

What is good about the stock setup? Grreat trunk space with room to pack your stuff and and a spare tire, a few tools and spare parts for a road trip. I do not know of another roadster of the same size that is as practical for a trip.

Rick

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
fuel cell

we have even more room in the alpines. we used to use the series 4 a lot in years past and i had room enough to haul the wife's luggage plus one for me. i have never heard of anyone getting hurt by having the tanks in the wings. 46 years and no problems with any of the many beams i've had.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
we have even more room in the alpines. we used to use the series 4 a lot in years past and i had room enough to haul the wife's luggage plus one for me. i have never heard of anyone getting hurt by having the tanks in the wings. 46 years and no problems with any of the many beams i've had.

Bob, you got to buy a SI or SII.. then you will learn the art of oragami packing.. it makes the tiger boot seem luxurious! And dont pull the you have a SII based harrington line.. they have way more space than a stock body with that hatch setup! ;)

In all respect to the alpine rework by touring.. moving the tanks and mounting the spare vertical created an amazing ammenity in a sports car.. the S3-SV Alpine are about as good as it gets for luggage space in a small roadster, not just in period, but i'd say even today.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
fuel cell

michael,

i have had every series of alpines over the years. i still have a series 1 and have parted out the other two. also parted out the four series 2 cars that i had. i agree there is a lot of difference in trunk space. i always thought that for travel with my wife that i would have to leave the false floor out of the tiger. the sunbeams have more trunk space than any of the imports built at the time and also interior room and comfort. as for the fuel tank, i have never heard of any major problems in accidents. i hit a tree with the right rear fender back in 1970 and all it did to the tank was leave a large dent. it didn't rupture or even move.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

The SII being my only car for many years i learnt that the rear "parcel shelf" or "ocasional rear seat" was actually a great luggage compartment.. BUT dont go out with the rear full and roof down on an overcast day.. im sure the SV hood bag setup came about so that you could have things in the back AND put the roof up.. i have fond memories of throwing large amounts of stuff into the front seats as i tried to clear the rear so i could fold the panels down and put the roof up as a nice storm started to wash the car inside and out on evening!