Original Generator

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Perhaps a stupid question since most Tiger owners converted to Alternators (which I also did for my other Tiger) but does anybody have a source where one can buy rebuilt ones ? Or a clue which other Ford cars used that one ? Falcons ?

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Generator

My 4th Edition Shop Notes (There is a 5th) has next to nothing on the Tiger Generator; but has a number of ideas about Alternator conversion, brackets etc.

However I am quite certain that the generator used on the Tiger was common across most of the Ford lines in the early 60's and perhaps much earlier.

Unless you actually have an original generator it is likely that the pulley is not correctly aligned with the crank damper and water pump pulleys. Here in the US most owners would by a rebuilt generator and exchange the original generator with pulley for a refund of the core charge. The slight miss-alignment is something you would not notice unless you look for it and does not seem to be a problem in service.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Bernd,

Fords across the board from Falcons to Galaxies used generators during those years.

As for repair. I take my items to a local rebuild shop that specializes in generators and alternators.

If one lives in different country where Ford items are not easily found then that is one thing. Here in the States it is not a big deal to have it done.

I will be keeping mine as the goal is to stay with originality. Also I couldn't car less about a stereo so a generator is just fine with me.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
The very first Mustang ('64 1/2) used the same generator as our cars. Some of the Classic Mustang parts stores here in the US used to carry rebuilt ones. I have not checked lately. They also occasionally show up on ebay here.

At risk of being totally unhelpful, I thought I would mention an obscure source here in the states. Of all places, I got a rebuilt generator from a New Holland Equipment Dealer. New Holland bought out the Ford farm tractor product line many years ago. The Ford tractors used the same 12V generator as the early 1960's cars did, I believe into the 1970's. I do not recall the tractor model number, but I took my generator into the local New Holland dealer and they matched it up. Swapped my auto pulley over to the rebuilt generator and was back in business.

Cheers, Gene

PS: Just another thought. If you have one that stopped working, maybe all it needs is a new set of brushes. About $5.00 for a set of two, and a lot cheaper than a rebuilt one. (Easier to ship too!) Just need to be sure to get the right ones. Some seem to have large brushes, some small.

GLP

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
good suggestions, thanks. A generator also works with a Car stereo even though it´s of lower importance rather than listening to the small block burble. Think I´ll take the approach with the brushes even knowing that they´ll not cure all potential failures...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
If you cannot find brushes locally, I may have a set that would work that I could send you. Just need to confirm what are the cross-section dimensions of the brushes in your generator now. Also what is the diameter of the hole in the tab that makes the connection to the rest of the generator. If they match what I have on the shelf, they are yours for the cost of shipping. Just send me a private message.

Gene

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gene,

a great offer- appreciate it. Will take the measurement and let you know.

Cheers

Bernd

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here we are- sorry took a while . Need the ones which measure 7.4 x 22 x 23.4mm in width. Shown on the picture are the wider ones which measure 25.4mm (1"") but to wide...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Unfortunately, the extra ones I have for my generator that I offered to send, back when, are the bigger size. I do remember decades ago getting the smaller ones by mistake. As I vaguely remember, the connecting "L" shaped part also had a smaller hole in it. Can you confirm the larger hole version of attachment shown in your picture is right for your generator?

If worse comes to worst, you could always try grinding off a millimeter from each side and beveling the side corners with the side surface of a bench grinder. The brush material is just a sort of graphite material.

Cheers, Gene

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The larger hole can be managed to fit with a washer - no problem. Also tought about grinding off some material from the sides but prefer the proper set. Only if no other chance remains...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
So, I take it the smaller hole is in fact also correct for the smaller brush? I will check with my parts guy for you on Tuesday, since Monday is a holiday here.

Let us know if we should be looking for the smaller brush with the smaller connector hole if it is available. Might as well get the fully correct ones if we can.

Gene

PS: I noticed some of my brushes have letters and numbers stamped into one side. Anything like that on what is left of yours that would help us find replacements?

Last edited:

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
smaller or bigger hole is not decisive. Width is the key. Anyhow appreciate your efforts to allocate proper ones at your parts guy...

There were some numbers but need to check again...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
The dimensions you gave appear to be for a F33 brush. Those spec out at 7.4mm x 22mmx23.4mm. BTW, the wider brush is a F14 brush.

Some other numbers this F33 brush is said to replace are 1946660, C1AF-10069A, C1AF-10069B, C1VF-10069A, C10069AB, and GB11. Crossover numbers are 81-2202, 3B-7503, and F33.

If you cannot find the F33 locally, my parts guy can get them, but it would be an out of state order at about USD5.00 for a set of two, my cost. No idea on delivery time. If you cannot find the F33 locally, send me a PM about how many sets you would want and where they would be sent. I can then get an idea on postage for you.

Gene

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for your survey. F33 sounds good. That´s the set I need. There is a german brush maker listing them but only in bulk order qty.

Sent you a PM...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Gene, lovely. Everything arranged via Paypal. Pls. see the message there...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
just or all those followers:

F33 brushes are the right ones and they do fit/work nicely...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Great news indeed! Hope you can now enjoy some good quality time driving the car before winter sets in.:D

Cheers, Gene

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
yeah lots of happy Tigering especially since we had very good wheather/ beautiful October weekends. Hopefully some more to come. Even though today I preferred taking my family out in the Alpine SI. Has to be moved sometimes as well...