Oil Filter

Cal44

Gold forum user
hey lurkers,

Is it true the oil filter (remote) can be removed and the newer (little) oil filter can be screwed on to the block? If so can someone provide the filter number. Also, if, all of this is true then is the filter screw on thingy already on the block or is a purchase of one required. Also number needed.
Send a private message if you want.

Yes, I know it would not be original but I am trying to make things easier and provide more room. After all, it is just bolt on items. I want my newly found (junkyard) six blade fan to better do it's job.
Thanks,
Mike

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mike,

There is a right angle filter adap[tor that screws into the side of the block, then you can us ea shorter modern filter.. just be careful of clearance with headers.

The various ford part numbers can be found on the tigersunited site.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Half Qt. Filter

Fram PH3512 or WIX 51335 will fit. got this info from old Shop Notes. Not sure if they have the same threads as the stock block piece.

They are half the size/volume of stock filters. The WIX was installed on TigerBlue when purchased but I added a large remote filter (Fram Racing HP6A) and oil cooler. A few years ago I sold my remaining stock of WIX Filters at a CAT Swap Meet.

Rick

wag123

Gold forum user
The 4 short filters that work are: FRAM PH3512, Purolator L10101, WIX 51335, and NAPA Gold 1335. The FRAM and Purolator filters don't seem to be manufactured any more. The NAPA is manufactured by WIX and appears to be the exact same filter as the 51335, NAPA stores carry these in-stock.
To use the short filters you will need to use a shorter 1 3/16" nipple (the threaded piece that screws into the block). Ford used to carry these. The part number was D7AZ-6890-B which superceeded to F1AZ-6890-B. I don't know if they still sell them.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Think it´s one of the best modifications you can do to your Tiger. All you need is a short thread from any of remote oil filter adaptor and a Renault R4/R5 oilfilter . Here is one for sale :

shortyhttp://cgi.ebay.de/Olfilter-W77-MANN-Renault-/280630548955?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item4156e259db

Any US cross reference will work though. Just did it on one of my Tigers and it works nicely. No need for any remote stuff, hoses, etc. anymore...

Cal44

Gold forum user
Wag 123,

Thanks for the Ford part number. Now to find one............:confused:
Will hunt in my Mustang part books and online.
The remote oil filter is a pain in the arse.

Also the angled filter (thank you Michael) looks interesting. Just in case I cant find the nipple for the short filter. Where does one find the angled filter piece that attaches to the block?

Mike

Cal44

Gold forum user
The hot filter tips got me going. Went to the Ford dealer, he had the nipple. Went to NAPA, they had oil filter. All installed. Thanks guys. I cannot believe how the engine bay cleaned up with that darn remote filter gone.

Mike

wag123

Gold forum user
The hot filter tips got me going. Went to the Ford dealer, he had the nipple. Went to NAPA, they had oil filter. All installed. Thanks guys. I cannot believe how the engine bay cleaned up with that darn remote filter gone.

Mike

Glad we could help.
What is the current part number for the Ford nipple?

Cal44

Gold forum user
The current number is as you wrote. F1AZ-6890-B. They also sell them out of the NPD catalog for Mustangs. But I wanted it now.

wag123

Gold forum user
I was wrong about the Purolator L10101 oil filter. It is still being made but is VERY hard to find (I found them on-line). I like it better because it is a little bigger (longer) but still fits. The implication is that it contains more filter media area and will flow better, but I don't know this to be a fact. I do like Purolator's bypass valve design and use their oil filters on my other cars. WIX also makes quality filters and I wouldn't hesitate using them either, I currently have one on my Tiger.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone else had problems fitting the Purolator L10101 or equivalent short filter to their Tiger? I have a few of the old Purolator FCO-101 filters and they measure about 2 1/4 inches tall and fit my Tiger just fine. The replacement Purolator L10101 is a little over 2 1/2 inches tall. A friend can't fit these to his Tiger due to the extra filter height. He is going to try finding a Mann 77 filter as these are supposed to be shorter. Anyone have one to measure or have tried it? Thanks! Eric

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Eric,

The Mann W77 filter is also 2 1/4 inches tall. It fits like a dream and they are still plentiful here on ebay...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
P.S.

Cross references: Fram PH2874;Purolator ML17603

However no actual running experience with those...

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Bernd!
My friend has a deal lined up to buy a case of 10 of the Mann filters-now we know that they will fit his car.....Eric

Warren

Gold forum user
Sq. inches of filter paper

On a Yahoo forum in the recent past guys cut open several filters and compared the sq. inches of filter paper. Now I recall this was when I was a member of a BMW motorcycle group filled full of engineers.

I had been buying FRAM filters since the day I did my first oil change, my first vehicle had a canister filter. "first vehicle a International step van,"

The results were the FRAM was the worst and WIX was the best.

I suppose that it is not just a measure of the amount of the paper but also its ability to trap the nasty particles. The study did not mention the capability of the different papers.

I guess it does not matter too much if you change oil more often.

I have a old filter with German writing on it a Mann? it is black has a K92 on it and is 2 1/8 tall.

The WIX was the only one I could find in the big 3 Pep Boys, Kragen O'Reilly, and Auto Zone and it was special order took days to get, what a PIA.

pushrod

Bronze forum user
V8F Glass Fibre Oil Filter

Take a look at these filters. I fitted one myself a couple of months ago, there are also a few other UK Tigers owners who have used them for a while and are pleased with the way they perform.

http://www.v8filters.co.uk/

Lou.

wag123

Gold forum user
Has anyone else had problems fitting the Purolator L10101 or equivalent short filter to their Tiger? I have a few of the old Purolator FCO-101 filters and they measure about 2 1/4 inches tall and fit my Tiger just fine. The replacement Purolator L10101 is a little over 2 1/2 inches tall. A friend can't fit these to his Tiger due to the extra filter height. He is going to try finding a Mann 77 filter as these are supposed to be shorter. Anyone have one to measure or have tried it? Thanks! Eric
The L10101 filters fit fine as long as the shorter nipple is used (unless the spacers are not installed under the motor mounts). The NAPA/WIX filters are about 1/4" shorter than the Purolator. All NAPAs stock them.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I personally don't like the short oil filters, rather have a larger filter to do the job. I used a 90deg adapter and a K&N full length filter with a smaller dia.

I wouldn't put a Fram on a pram.

Warren

Gold forum user
Fram on a Pram

Funny,

There is a world of info about the glass micro fiber filter. So who has found a Modern material filter in the shorty size. I bet you can find FL1A FOMOCO size.

I have had a oil question that I'd thought I would throw out. Outside of a compression leak down test anyone used recently a oil analysis? If so any info would be good.

My motor is of unknown mileage, does not use hardly any oil does and not smoke and is a strong runner.