Tiger Historians jump in

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Noticed that the early Tigers had a trim piece surrounding the glove box cutout. When did Sunbeam discontinue it ? I have MK1A and it does not have trim surround. Don't think it ever did.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Noticed that the early Tigers had a trim piece surrounding the glove box cutout. When did Sunbeam discontinue it ? I have MK1A and it does not have trim surround. Don't think it ever did.

The only tigers that would have had the bakerlite glovebox surround would be the pre-wood dash models. These used the alpine black vynil dash which had a barkerlite surround for the glovebox as per all ST models of alpine from SI-V

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Tiger has the original "black dash." It is a bit difficult to see in the photo attached, but is the glove box surround the type tou are talking about?

Jim Lindner
B9470033

Sgreg

Silver forum user
Jim- that 's the one. So just early MK1's with the black dash had the bakelite surround. Makes sense as the later Alpines had them and the first Tigers were transitional cars. Thanks, everyone. Mystery solved. They would not have looked bad around the cutout on the wood dash, either. I have always thought the wood dash cutout could use a door or something to enhance it. Looks kind of unfinished.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the pic Jim, I's say thats what greg was reffering to. Those early black dash cars have a lot of detail differences.. i note you even have the early shifter and knob.. does your car have the T10 box? is it #33 off the line?

Another thing.. when you are next with some later cars can you look for 2 things for me?

1. Is there a difference where your metal tabs are in the boot where the battery restraining rods attach to the later cars.

2. Does the tunnel on your car vs a later one have a provision for a dipper switch for RHD cars?

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael

My Tiger is #33 off the line and it has the original T-10. Car is in the shop right now getting some finish issues addressed but I will look for those items when I get it back.

Jim

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael

The attached photo of the trunk on my Tiger is a bit washed out due to the reflection, but it might answer your question regarding the location of the tabs for the battery restraint rods.

Jim

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Why they only made 15 GT's?

The Alpine offered a GT which along with the hard top and had an upgraded interior.

Rootes followed this pattern initially with the Tiger but soon decided to give all Tigers the wood dash and that was the most visible differentiation in the GT model Tiger. End of GT production. More to it than that probably like not including a soft top with GT's.

Rick

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very interesting article on the GT Tigers. What caught my eye is that the article says the early production Tigers with the Black Dash that came before the GTs also were equipped with Black Steering Wheels.

Now I have been going round and round on this subject for months and most (including Norm) state ALL Tigers, came with the Wood Trimmed steering wheel. They convinced me enough to get a restored wood trimmed wheel to replace my black plastic wheel (not the original).

I would be interested in any more feedback on this topic before I make the switch.

Thanks,

Jim

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim.

A. thanks for the photos.. the reason i ask is a saw an early MKI a while back and noticed the tabs for the battery in a slightly different location to later cross bosy MKI and MKIA.. then i noticed that the tunnel on the later cars seemes to have a part of the pressing made to deal with the high beam on the RHD cars, the early tunnel doesnt seem to, which makes sense as it wasnt till later that RHD became available.

As for your wood wheel question.. dig up the article i think in car and driver or sports car graphic.. there is a white tiger, T10.. has a girl posing with it.. it an earyl car with ST interior.. i think the mention wood wheel.. and there are pics.