location of diff and gearbox ID numbers

davester

Bronze forum user
I'm looking at a potential Tiger purchase and would like to determine the gearbox and differential number locations. A search did not yield any results on the forum. Can anyone post a picture of these two number locations? I believe the engine number can be found on the block near the starter motor but requires its' removal in order to be visible?

Thanks
Dave Gilmore

Cal44

Gold forum user
Dave,

Yes on the engine block casting numbers, up under the starter.

There is a tag attached to the transmission on the side. Also casting numbers on the housing parts.

The rear end will have numbers on the bottom of the housing. I believe these are stamped in. There is also a tag attached. If attached tags are still present then that is a plus............after all these years.

Mike

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
"Numbers"

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=362&highlight=casting

There are some posts (link above) about decoding the Ford Casting codes which generally provide year of casting and displacement. There is no serial number. Rootes did assign an engine number and fixed the plate to the valve cover. So is a Mk1a with a 6 bolt 289 with original valve covers matched to the cars VIN "numbers correct"?

Also in shopping for a Tiger, keep in mind there was only that mild cam 2V engine in production cars. Many new Tiger buyers went straight to the LAT options or their speed shop to unlock the real Tiger within. There was no engine shipped from the factory like the unique performance engines in a Z28 Camaro or a Hemi-Cuda. Restoring one of those with the factory installed block makes a difference.

Rick