Generator adjustment bar

Cal44

Gold forum user
I need a little help. I am re-installing the generator. Since I didn't pay attention to the adjustment bar when I removed it (idiot).

I am:

A. not certain if the bar is correct. It has a bend in it. To me it looks as though it should be straight.

B. Which position on the water pump should it be connected? I am thinking the position should be mid way down in the hole where the bolt does not attach the water pump.

Anyone with a couple of photos clearly showing this?

I have corrected a few things that were done incorrectley over the years. Perhaps this is one?
Thanks,
Mike

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Mike, you are correct about the mounting hole. It takes a smaller gauge bolt and goes into a post just above and outboard of where the bolt just above of the lower hose connects. My adjuster bar has a similar kink to yours.

If you are having alignment problems, remember that the bar goes to the back of the generator flange, not the front. Thus the bolt goes in from the back side. You need a long extension, socket and ratchet placed under the generator to get to where it goes.

The way I typically go about it is to attach the adjuster bar to the generator first. With everything loose, and a little patience, you can get your hand under the bar and twirl in the bolt with your finger tips. Alternatively, you could put the bolt in a socket at the end of a long extension. Run that under the generator, hold everything in place with your right hand and twirl the extension with your left. It helps to have a magnetic insert in the socket to keep the bolt from falling out as you maneuver it under the generator. However you do it, get the bolt at the generator end well started but not tight. Then attach the other end to the water pump. You will probably have to hold the generator up a bit with your left hand in order to do that. I then put the curved end of a pry bar (curved end up) between the top of the generator and the mount to function as a lever. I lean against the pry bar with my chest to create the belt tension. That leaves my right hand free to help get (and keep) the socket on the bolt underneath the generator. I hold it on the nut while working the ratchet with my left hand. Then tighten the two bolts at the top of the generator mount. Sounds a bit strange I admit, but works for me.

Long answer, but one way to get it done. Hope somewhere in that is the answer you need!

Cheers, Gene

Last edited: