Looking for a brake lesson

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Not much of a mechanic but trying to learn. I've never replaced pads and shoes myself on any car. Wondering if someone in LA would be willing to give me a lesson. I could bring car and parts to your house and watch you do one front and one rear wheel, then you could watch me do the other front and rear, or just give me direction and I'll do it all. Anyone able to help with this ? Send me a pmail please.

Thanks

Steve

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cheap advice can be expensive

Should have read this a couple of days ago while in Sandy Eggo, but now back in still frozen NH. I can't count how many I've broken knuckles on since "65" and before, but the really important thing is age & use can create lots-O-little quirks. Find a trusted/considerate mechanic and work from there. The manuals or any experienced dude can describe the process in detail for ya, but there will always be that one teensy little gremlin hiding and waiting for novice fingers . . . . . . .keep em' runnin', randy

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
An example of aging to ponder

One of the things that started me re-building calipers for people years back was the down & dirty front pad installations that guys would do(or have done) in order to complete Safety inspections. Common practice was to pull the pins, open the bleed screw (if it would move), force the pistons back with whatever would wedge in the gap, and finally, drop in fresh pads, pump the brake pedal and drive away.
Calipers would show up at my door once the mechanics and/or owner had agreed that something "had happened" when the new pads went in. How many long & boring stories can we tell about all the lingering rust and other nasty chemistry that gets dragged in past the dust cover groove when those pistons are pushed back. I've had to come up with some creative tooling in order to get some of those pistons to even think of moving again. Uneven movement will warp the rotor from only warming one side, etc. etc. And then there's always the phone calls about "how do you get that F------ dustcover to stay put. And many other moments of frustration; amen