Help ID vehicles from 1964. (THE ANIMALS)

cleandan

Silver forum user
I am looking for some clarification concerning the Sunbeam cars the group, THE ANIMALS, rode in/on when they first arrived here in the US back in 1964.
I have some music documentary DVD's that shows the ANIMALS riding from JFK airport to Manhattan during thier first US tour. The cars they rode in were Sunbeams for sure but the resolution is too poor to tell if they are Alpines or Tigers. At a point in the film they are crossing the bridge and I believe I can see only a single tailpipe on one of the cars but otherwise the film just is not clear enough to be certain. Do any of you know for certain what they were riding in?
Thanks for the help and have a great day.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From what i remember from previous discusions they were "Tigers" as a play on the animals theme.

Cal44

Gold forum user
I believe Mr. Burdon still lives in SoCal. There is a Eric Burdon website which includes Blogs and history. Perhaps you can peck around and find more there.

cleandan

Silver forum user
I believe Mr. Burdon still lives in SoCal. There is a Eric Burdon website which includes Blogs and history. Perhaps you can peck around and find more there.

Thanks for the reply. On the film Eric Burdon speaks about the arrival and the cars but only gets into enough detail to say. "They had us ride on the back of British sports cars because of the British thing". Or something to that effect anyway. Who knows, maybe he remembers.

Last edited:

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If they were Tigers...I wonder if there are any records anywhere regarding which cars they used...now that would be interesting to know.

Jim L.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think you will be pushing it to find which cars.. they would likely have been from a local dealer. There were a series of cars used for a driver parade (maybe riverside) with graham hill, jim clark etc.. but dont htink any knowlegde of the originas of those either.. that said.. in many ways they are not that important a car.. in some ways less so than motor show cars..

Now does anybody know the location of the playboy pink tiger, the ex- chris amon tiger.. they would be nice to grab for owner history

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Now does anybody know the location of the playboy pink tiger, the ex- chris amon tiger.. they would be nice to grab for owner history

I was in a show n shine a few years back and a lady came up and started telling me how she'd learned to drive in a Tiger... She went on to say that under the re-paint, there were signs of it it being pink at one time... and the owner mentioned something about a 'Playboy' car ! I was promised some contact info for the owner which never came to be and then contacted Norm to see what he knew...
It turns out that the car is not that far from here... in Surrey, B.C. Canada and looking in great shape albeit with red paint... Norm even had a pic...

Jim
B382000446

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
CAT Sticker

CAT Logo in Canada. Not surprised. Many Members in the great white north.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Car looks to be very healthy, interesting bonnet, has the cobra style riverted scoop and louvers on each side. The playboy tiger had a LAT style logo on the bonnet the same as used on the LAT hood for the tiger brochure, I have never seen one in modern times.. looks like a LAT logo inserted in a S3/fastback style badge surround.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
...looks like a LAT logo inserted in a S3/fastback style badge surround.

Wow, Michael, you have a good eye... I hadn't spotted that... I've never seen that logo... is it at all similar to the wheel cap 'decals' that are sold on e-bay?
I used them on my Epsilon wheel caps...

edit: found a 'full frontal' pic but not clear enough to see detail ... at least on the badge... lol!

Jim
B382000446

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

I believe that it is the same logo, but larger. I think it is insertedi into a S3 style chrome badge surround. I spotted this on the pink tiger years back, and then when i got the lAT brochure spotted the same badge.. as i have said, never seen a current car with one.. and never seen a listing for them.. but there obviously was a few.

cleandan

Silver forum user
Great info guys. I do not wish to sound like sour grapes but the thread has been hijacked. Does anyone really know about the ANIMALS Alpine/Tiger usage other than to mention a maybe, or an I think? If you don't know it is perfectly ok, we can't possibly know EVERYTHING. If you happen to know the video I am speaking of please look it over and see if you can spot the single tailpipe on the cars going over the bridge. That is the only real detail I can get from the images I have. All other images are too grainy to get the fine details. Thanks again and have a great day.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dan,

Sorry for the hijack... I do believe they were tigers.. if you send me the pics might be able to help you more.. i remeber my dad telling me about some footage of it on a rock docco a few years back... as for id'ing the cars.. unless you see a number plate i think you are out of luck.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dan, I know this is 11 years old, but these couple of movie stills show side molding on the cars, so at least a couple of the vehicles used to transport The Animals were Tigers.

The Animals..jpg

The Animals...jpg