Trunk (Boot) Lid Issues

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi all

Just got my MkI back from shop after getting some repairs to finish. Over the years since the original restoration cracks dveloped along certain body seams (originally lead filled) in the rear of the body and had become quite noticeable. Everything went well and the work came out looking great.

Now the bad news...First day back I close the trunk and at the passenger side corner the lid jumps over seal and goes metal to metal with body...2" chip out of paint (See Photo). The same thing happened while still in the shop as they were finishing up. They redid the work and thought they had corrected the issue. Obviously, still having some fitting issues. See the 2nd photo for the gap on the drivers side. Hard to tell in photo but definitely closer gap on passenger side. OBTW the seal is in excellent condition.

Shop thinks it has something to do with placement of trunk lid buffers (See photo). They think they should be further outboard. I am very happy overall with the work these guys do...but they are not Tiger guys (mostly jags).

Question...What is the correct location for the trunk lid buffers? Any other ideas to help correct the problem?

Thanks

Jim

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Ouch! That is a shame. I would think the buffers are in the correct location but need to be adjusted to extend out more to keep the gap wider and the 2 pieces from making contact during closure. Just my 2 cents. Really nice paint otherwise, I'm envious.
Justin

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bump & Chips

I always gently set the buffers without the seals in place to prevent any missreading of the gaps, etc. Makes it a whole bunch easier to correct any contact points for good buffer support. More 2 cents fer ya, randy

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
issues

this may be an easy fix since it appears that the buffer brackets are installed backwards. the pointed section of the bracket needs to point to the trunk skin or towards the bumper. flip them around! it looks like they may have used hood buffers since the trunk buffers aren't much over 1/2 inch in diameter. your buffers should hit the trunk seal and set on the part that has the metal that slides over the flange. the ones you are using are probably going inside the trunk and not hitting the seal. this happens more times than you would believe. call rick at SS and get the right buffers.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank You all for the responses...and yes several of you are right about the oversized buffers. We put those on after we had metal-to-metal contact the first time. The reasoning was they would provide additional clearance...guess that did not work out too well.

I also attached a close up of the passenger side buffer since 65Beam pointed out they might be installed backwards. I thought the close up might generate some additional input or confirm what has been said already.

Again, thanks for all the help

Jim

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I looked at mine and it is clear that whoever put these on put them on backwards, like Bob and Michael have already pointed out. In your first pictures the one on the left looks closer to the trunk bottom lip than the right side. How that could happen I do not know. Probably the larger size bumper is just catching the inside edge of the seal there and the one on the right is missing it entirely. Hence the right side paint chip. Put some a lump of modeling clay on the seal where the each buffer should touch and close the trunk. Should give you all the physical confirmation the shop needs.

Cheers, Gene

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks again to all.

As a last request could somebody post a photo showing the correct installation or send me a PM with a photo.

I am just not seeing what all mean by "backwards."

Thanks,

Jim

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Just flip it over so the part now touching the underside of the mounting screws is now against the trunk lid. In other words, the flat part you see in your last picture is now against the trunk metal. That will put the bumper button in the outer most part of the trunk lid and over the seal. Right now it almost looks like the mounting holes may be too high in the lid to do that. Were they somehow filled and redrilled? The bumpers are supposed to be in that space between the thick part of the trunk lid and the thin final edge.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Just peeked at mine and agree with all that the brackets are installed backwards. In the close-up pic the pointed edge of the bracket is pointing towards you. It should be facing away.

Earlier I suggested adjusting the pads thinking they were similar to those used on the bonnet. Perhaps the bonnet pads could be used on the boot if additional adjustment is still necessary after the brackets are oriented properly. There won't be much room if any.

I've got a new trunk seal but I recall seeing indentations from the boot pads on the old seal. I don't even have the pads anymore. Wonder where they fell off at? LOL

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Took a while...but now I get it.

Thanks to all who answered my call. My Tiger is going back into the shop next week to get the chip fixed and in the meantime I will adjust the buffers in accordance with the guidance provided.

Thanks to all.

Jim